2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Compiled List of Common Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009 | 04:56 PM
Starting Member
blazeree is on a distinguished road

thread link section I posted a very good ignition switch replacement link...btw if u can wait I got mine for a 97 4wd @ amazon-

Old 12-12-2009 | 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazeree
thread link section I posted a very good ignition switch replacement link...btw if u can wait I got mine for a 97 4wd @ amazon-
We already have a very good ignition switch replacement thread.

Old 12-12-2009 | 10:27 PM
|
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

True, one that this stupid project needs to have a link too

Old 04-14-2010 | 02:07 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Hard to get to spark plugs: It can be a huge PITA to get to the #3 plug.
The spark plugs are located in tight quarters. Try using any cheap spark plug socket with a 3/4" hex on the end of it. Break it loose with the 3/4" wrench and spin it out by hand. - Lastcoupe
Lift the front end and remove the driver’s side tire. You will have easier access to the plugs when going through the wheel well. -00blackblazer
I kept forgetting about this, but since I did a tune-up yesterday it reminded me. For that pesky #3 plug, I actually take the steering shaft off of the steering box. Turn the steering wheel SLIGHTLY to the left to expose the shaft bolt in a good accessible angle. Take out pinch bolt (there's only one bolt on the end of the shaft where it meets the steering box, you'll know), and using a flatbar/prybar work it apart. It just slides off. Once it's off, you can lift it out of the way to easily get the plug.

Putting it back on is reverse. and a no-brainer... The shaft is keyed ...

Doing this, I get all 6 plugs done in 15 minutes.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:13 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Good list.

Old 10-01-2010 | 10:19 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Manual seat recline handle broken: Yeah, who’s isn’t?
Mine isn't!

Old 10-05-2010 | 02:50 AM
Beginning Member
Bob'sblazer is on a distinguished road

Sick, this is great for a nooby like me!

Old 11-12-2010 | 11:56 PM
sctt_wlsn is on a distinguished road

got this link with how to's for replacing the door hinge bushing. I think most people get stuck on the spring and are too afraid to try and they ask. This seems like a hot issue when I was looking for a how to on the forum earlier. think you can look at my link and add it to your list AB?

edit: oh snap! forgot to add the link

https://web.archive.org/web/20080505...replace_1.html

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-14-2022 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link to content on door hinge pin/bushing replacement with web.archive.org image of original website
Old 11-13-2010 | 05:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That link has been discussed before and it's a good walk through on the steps. I really do not like the way they pressed the bushings back into the hinges. Too much potential for damaging the bushings. I use two sockets and a bolt to press them back in. MUCH less chance of damaging things.

Old 11-14-2010 | 09:30 AM
sctt_wlsn is on a distinguished road

Hmm, can't remember how they suggested to press the bushings in off the top of my head but I was thinking of using a bolt, two washers, a nut and a little elbow grease. The main thing I saw that was helpful for me (though I haven't gotten around to that fix yet) was how to remove and replace the spring.

Quick Reply: Compiled List of Common Fixes