2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

computer help with 96 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: computer help with 96 blazer

Not to wander here but I always wondered about these recalls and such. I am the second owner and the truck has 116,000 miles on it. Take the upper ball joint replacement. As a second owner and with that much mileage does a manufacturer still have to replace the upper balljoints under the recall or replace anything on my truck due to recalls ?

As I said, do not mean to wander but always thought about these recalls and TSBs, never knew how to go about them. Thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely prefer to installmyself and save $160 if it's really that easy. Where exactly is the PCM and is it really as easy and unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 PM
idr
Beginning Member

Its on top of the inside fender on the passenger side of your car. Unplugging the connections and removing it is not really a big job. Reprogramming it, for me, would be the downfall.

As I said, open the hood, look on the passenger side on top of the fender, directly behind the white plastic over flo for the cooling system and thats the baby.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
idr
Beginning Member

Hit this link and you should come to a picture of the engine comp. Its right behind the white coolant overflo which is right behind the batterey ( Left side of picture ) This is not my truck but one for sale and its a 96 also. It has fins on it, right alongside the A/C dryer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1996gmcjimmy/2938703295/

Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Starting Member

So all I have to do is pull out those three plugs connected to the computer and plug in the new one? that's it (besides disconnecting the battery)?

Oh and I don't have to do any new programming... they do everything for me. I just have to give them my VIN. Basically they said its ready to go.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, if the new one is programmed to your vin then you will be all good just plug er in!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Starting Member

BEAUTIFUL. Thanks guys!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the aforementioned CASE learn that may need to be performed if you get the specified DTC.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Starting Member

Since I'm doing it myself and if I get that code where I have to do the case relearn, any idea how to take care of that code? Is this something Id be able to do or a mechanic would need to take care of it?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AKA Crankshaft Variation Relearn procedure or CKP relearn as the seller specified. If you end up getting the code he stated, then you will need to have the CASE learn done.

Quick Reply: computer help with 96 blazer