2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road
Exclamation coolant

I looked under my hood today only to find my coolant over flow bone dry.... What could of caused this.... I mean my rad still had coolant in it tho... Please help me out... Any info would be very helpful

Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Can be anything :
heater core
thermostat housing
radiator leak
waterpump leak
freeze plug.

Just gotta start looking.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Starting Member

I mean da funny thing is my trucks nt over heating tho

Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Starting Member

I mean da funny thing is my trucks nt over heating tho

Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well, when was last time you added any coolant?
leaving puddles?
white exhaust smoke?
fouled spark plugs?

could be internal with no puddles....but unless you tell us how often you check it and what you add...its all just guesses.

you have to give us some details....

Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by darknight
I looked under my hood today only to find my coolant over flow bone dry.... What could of caused this.... I mean my rad still had coolant in it tho... Please help me out... Any info would be very helpful

Coolant level in the overflow doesn't have much to do with cooling the car. It's what's in the radiator that matters. As warthog said if you haven't looked in your overflow for a year then it might be normal. If it's two weeks they you have a problem. Although you can search for the leak there's so much stuff on the top of the engine it's hard to see all the places that can leak. Best thing is to do is a pressure test on the cooling system...you'll hear a hiss where it's leaking. The last time I had one done the garage charged me about $15.

A small leak can drip onto the hot engine and evaporate before it drops to the ground. Your overflow tank will slowly be drained and if not refilled your radiator level will drop leading to overheating. Another issue with leaks is that you are unable to maintain the proper cooling system pressure which lowers the boiling point.

One major issue with the 4.3l motors is the lower intake manifold gasket. If you're lucky it will leak on the outside but in some cases it can leak internally and if bad enough will contaminate your oil. If it's a small internal leak it's possible that it's burning off inside the valley of the engine before draining into the oil pan. You will see no leaks or puddles under the car and it will run normally. The cooling path is also next to the intake chambers so if the leak is there it would go into your cylinders fouling the plugs and you may see steam mixed in your exhaust...depends how big the leak is. You may also see a degradation of your performance as the coolant fouls your plugs. Eventually a small leak will turn into a flood so have it checked out.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Starting Member

Damn all dat stuff sounds pretty bad.... But I guess I'm on da good side of the stick today... Because I finally found da leak... It's my water pump... My truck about 134xxx miles on it now and looks like da pump has never been touch... Pretty rusty.... It's da seals... But of course I'm gonna go ahead and replace da whole unit..... And while I'm doing so I ll replace all da hoses as well... It's funny... But its like everyone I think about replacing something on my truck.. it always seems to go out before I can get around to it ...... Wtf!!!! Smh.... Thanks guys...

Last edited by darknight; 07-31-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: type o