2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Coolant leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 09:49 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Here is a pic of my LIM upside down. The shop that replaced the LIM said the leak was from corrosion in the manifold but I don't think so. there is a ~10" long, 1/4" thick bead of RTV sealant laid between the intake and the block.. I believe this is where my leak was. Over time hot water must have broken through a gasket, entered the chamber and pit a crack through the original sealant. Then one day more sealant gave way and the engine rapidly overheated.

Attached Images  

Last edited by puttster; 11-23-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:36 PM
Jmack is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jmack
98 Blazer 4dr 4wd
I looked to see if there was coolant on the lower part of the engine with a flashlight after driving. I don’t see any fluid. Where is the lower intake manifold gasket? Is it below the spark plugs? Anyone have a picture of this?
1. There are coolant leaks l see on the pavement under the truck around the perimeter of the engine. Does this indicate that it could or could not be the LIM gasket or the head gasket?

2. Do you have a picture of the water passages to engine?

Last edited by Jmack; 11-25-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:07 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

1. not necessarily.
2.) Read Christine;s post and look at his diagram

Old 11-25-2023, 04:13 PM

The leak was from a hose that connects to the something near the air intake. It was under other stuff where I couldn’t see it, near the center of the top of the engine.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

The leak was from a hose that connects to the something near the air intake. It was under other stuff where I couldn’t see it, near the center of the top of the engine.
Was this hose pretty short with a sharp bend to it? If tes, it would be the water pump bypass hose. This hose allows coolant to bypass the thermostat so that there is always some coolant flowing.

So was the leak in the hose or were you able to stop the leak by tightening the hose clamp?

Old 11-30-2023, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Was this hose pretty short with a sharp bend to it? If tes, it would be the water pump bypass hose. This hose allows coolant to bypass the thermostat so that there is always some coolant flowing.

So was the leak in the hose or were you able to stop the leak by tightening the hose clamp?
The leak was stopped by replacing the clamp. The leak stopped for a few short trips for a few days. Now the leak is back.

Thank you for help. Now I’m going to another mechanic. They don’t know until they see it. Advance auto parts and Napa auto parts don’t know name of the hose. The goes from the radiator to something I don’t know the name of I don’t know if it goes to the heater core. Does the water pump bypass hose go from the radiator to the intake manifold?

Old 11-30-2023, 09:23 PM
BF Veteran

Here are some exploded diagrams that might help. Using these, can you identify which end of which hose had the leak?

This first one shows the heater hoses and how they connect to the water pump (hose #2) and the top of the intake manifold (hose #6).

The next picture shows the remaining hoses, highlighted in pink. Hose 21 is the water pump inlet or "bypass" hose.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:49 PM

The leak is where the larger hose at the top of the radiator connects to a smaller hose that goes to something I don’t know what is. I think it goes to the engine. It could be the lower intake manifold that it goes to.
Can it cause damage to the hoses when you do a coolant pressure test that connects to the radiator cap?

Old 12-03-2023, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran

The leak is where the larger hose at the top of the radiator connects to a smaller hose that goes to something I don’t know what is. I think it goes to the engine. It could be the lower intake manifold that it goes to.
Can it cause damage to the hoses when you do a coolant pressure test that connects to the radiator cap?
OK, I'm not following the description of where your leak is. The upper radiator hose connects to the engine at the thermostat housing. Perhaps you could download one of the pictures I posted and mark where the leak is?

As for any possible damage a coolant pressure test could do, as long as you only pressurize the system to same pressure as the release pressure of the radiator cap, about 14 p.s.i. no damage will occur as long as the components are fine. If you do see a leak or if a hose starts to leak, then you would want to replace that part anyway since the cooling system is intended to operate at 14 p.s.i. as determined by the radiator cap rating.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:52 AM

98 Blazer 4dr 4wd
Which components that were already damaged can be worsened by the radiator pressure test? The leak is where the short black hose with 90 degree bend connects to the other hose that goes to the top of the radiator in the photo in the link below. The connection is underneath the air intake.

4.3 Liter OHV 12-Valve V6 Engine for the 1998 Chevrolet Blazer #52202305 | GTCarLot.com

Last edited by Jmack; 12-04-2023 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking