2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cranking good, no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member
drewsblazer is on a distinguished road

update, i replaced the spider injectors and she finally ran but i didnt have one of the fuel lines on all the way and i hydrolocked the motor. took all my plugs out blew all excess gas out of the motor and ran about 5 qts of oil through the motor then filled her back up. now im having a problem with miss fire like crazy. i got the codes read and results were p1351,p0122 and p0304. i drove to the courthouse today to pay a fine and when i came back out it wouldnt start. note it was 92 out today and i had drove for about 35mins. had it towed and a few hours later started up great and drove her home ran like **** though. when i got er home i was curious so i left er running and i popped the hood and it looks like at least 4 out of 6 spark plug wires are arcing. mostly the 3 on passenger side of engine. also the coil seems to be aching in between the actual coil and the mounting bracket for it. so im going to change these items tomorrow and i think ill have it nailed.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you re-run the pressure & leakdown tests after you replaced the spider? If you didn't replace the internal fuel lines, it is very likely that you now have a leak at these lines.

As far as the codes are concerned, here's their descriptions (wiring diagrams are for the 98+ though):
P1351 - Ignition Control [IC] Circuit High Voltage
P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P030x - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

The spark leaks are not good and can really affect a lot of things so I would tackle that first. Spark leaking into other sensors/components can cause all sorts of weird problems.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member

i did replace the nut kit while i was in there, because i was tired of it messing up so i wanted to cover all my bases. so no i didnt check fuel pressure but ill do that today just in case

Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, good. I didn't see that in your list of things you had done and it has caused many members to scratch their heads in the past. Another good thing to do while you are in there is replacing the CPI injector harness. It's only like $15 or so and good insurance.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member

update for ya, i got a new set of plug wires and a new coil+icm. my old one was super corroded. got it all thrown on and the truck runs better than when i bought it. im very excited to have a strong running truck again. thanks crew, for the help

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed!