2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cranks, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member
nutdriver58 is on a distinguished road
Question cranks, but no start

Hi all,
This is my first post although I've gotten a lot of useful info about my 1999 4wd Blazer. This latest problem included. Much thanks!
Fuel pump isn't pumping. I lowered tank a lil' and disconnected connectors. Got voltage at fuel pump connector (Termnal B-Grey wire) but no ground. (Terminal C-Black wire) So my plan is to run a wire from frame and intercept that black wire. Do you think this is a good idea?
Also when I reached in over the tank to disconnect connector, there was another connector there that I disconnected and brought out also. It is a 3 wire connector, middle wire green. The other two wires I'd have to look at again as I forget what colors they are. What is that connector for?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Beginning Member
Default I'm goin' in....

Well, can't wait any longer for advice. It's Sat. and everybody is busy. Waited out the heat of the day and am going back out and hooking up fuel pump with new ground. (Actually, I had to wait for "liquid tape" to dry. I soldered my splice, liquid taped same and now will wrap it with some good elec. tape. Will let you know what happens.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

Try and jump the ground. If that works see if you can follow the wires up and find the bad ground wire.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Beginning Member
Default no dice

Well, that didn't work. Just what I wanted to do this weekend. Screw around with this situation.
Anyhow, guess I'll finish completely dropping the tank. It's probably the fuel pump. Has over 150K mi. on it.
That's another challenge. First, removing rubber hoses from filler neck to allow for clearance to drop tank.
Also, do you need a special tool to disconnect fuel lines? I just replaced fuel pump on my 92 C1500 last month and I used regular screw clamps but I see fuel lines going to a small black box behind rear wheel on drivers side and they have those newer style fuel line disconnects. So I'm thinking they may be involved at top of tank.
Anybody have any tricks to disconnecting the hoses that connect filler neck to tank? They are hard to get to....
(I'm about ready to turn this over to a "real" mechanic!)

Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member

Now I did it!!!
Was lowering the tank to get to fuel pump and snapped off one of the fuel line quick connects that was attached to fuel pump.
I think that means that I got to replace fuel pump now even if it tests ok. I thinks it's bad but my plan was to lower tank and then run 12 V directly to pump to verify.
I've never dealt w/ those quick connects. Do they take a special tool or what?
Please help me here! I'm getting discouraged...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member

All done but what a PITA
Fuel pump was bad so changed that as well as in-line filter.
What a screwed-up design tho'. You barely got enough room to drop tank before disconnect break. And then putting it back together, you gotta jack it up almost the whole way just to hook up the fuel lines. I think they could have left a lil' xtra length there.
BTW, I left the ground that I ran from frame connected. Figured it would hurt anything and if I got it all hooked up and it wouldn't run because of lack of ground.
I redid the filler neck ground and that probably took care of why I didn't have a ground but I was getting short on time. (My wife needs blazer to go to work tomorrow)