2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cranks with no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member
whislinwings is on a distinguished road

11.3 on all 6. Prob battery wear down from cranking.No after market security no remote start. It's all stock. Maybe Cam sensor?

Last edited by whislinwings; 10-10-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Yes, you should start charging the battery soon.

At this point usually there are two tests that can be done. The first one tests to be sure that the VCM is providing the proper ground control pulses to each injector. This is usually done with a noid light which would go between pink power and in turn to each non-solid pink control wire and you look for flashing while cranking. Like this:

Amazon Amazon

or this, which is what I have:

Amazon Amazon

The noid light replaces the injector and will present no strain on the VCM switching circuit. Some people use an incandescent test light from power to the control wire but I cannot guarantee that every test light will have sufficient resistance and capacitance to be safe for the VCM. Your auto parts store may have loaners. They are not terribly expensive. The other test which may be more relevant here is a balance test where each injector is pulsed with a fixed pulse width and you watch the drop in fuel pressure to see if all 6 cylinders are getting uniform fuel flow. It does not tell you if the spray pattern is OK but that's not your problem with no start and new injectors on all 6 cylinders. I use this:

Amazon Amazon

If you are back inside the intake then another approach is actually pulling each injector nozzle and watching the spray into a safe container with the ignition defeated. I would want to avoid this unless I had reason to believe that the upgrade may have issues.

I have to go run some errands, I will check back here later today, I stayed with you as long as I could.

George

Old 10-10-2020, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you George. I will get these tools and give it a shot.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:27 PM
BF Veteran

A couple more thoughts:

When you did the MPFI upgrade did you have any issues during the process that would suggest that maybe that unit or its installation have failed?

The injector pulse width is calculated from a number of sensors and that's why it would help your diagnosis to be able to read their values in live data. The good folks here have come up with very capable scanner solutions on the cheap. I'll give you one example: of your TPS has failed and is sending a full scale reading, your VCM will interpret that as flood clear mode and defeat or radically change the fuel injector signals to clear the presumed flooded condition.

George

Old 10-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member

Everything seemed to go smooth with install of MFI. The posts from everyone on here was a Great Guide. Spot on!! I Pulled some fuel out of system to check for water. time will tell for that one. I was told a test light on the pins for injectors would tell me if it's pulsing. I will have to order the tools, No one has them locally.

Last edited by whislinwings; 10-10-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran

The noid light will tell if its pulsing, I prefer that second one i sent you because its adjustable for our single large connector. If yes then the balance tester tells you if you are getting uniform fuel delivery at each cylinder.

George

Old 10-18-2020, 10:33 AM
Beginning Member

Noid light came in yesterday. Now battery is dead. What connector do I plug into?

Old 10-18-2020, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran

You connect the noid light to a hot pink wire and one of the ground side injector control wires, testing each of the six combinations in turn, or at least a couple of them:

Pink - injector power
Blk - #1 control
Pnk/blk - #3 control
blk/wht - #5 control
Lt Gr/blk - #2 control
Lt blu/blk - #4 control
yel/blk - #6 control

George

Old 10-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member

So I wil have to tap into wires going into connector or separate tester pins

Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM
BF Veteran

You separate the plug and insert the pins into the connector from the engine computer. If you have an adjustable noid light you change the pin span to fit the pair you are testing. If you have one of those sets then you have to get more creative.

George

Quick Reply: Cranks with no start