2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cranks no start, have spark and fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member
wadethenewf is on a distinguished road

hi all, hope everyone had a good day, or is having a good day.
did the tdc as you asked and it looks to me like the rotor button is maybe 5 degrees off the 6 mar, looks like lots of spark at the coil as well. but on a funny note, i got was in the middle of testing the crank sensor before i started this thread and decided as i had time to day to continue the test, it didnt turn out as i though at all or what i read, i have 3 wires, one that has power when the key is on, that is fine, the ground, the middle wire is fine and tested ok, but the wire that sends the 5 volt pulse to the computer also has 12 volts all the time, no off then 5 volts, did the test 3 times, and always the same, i unpluged the wiring, tested the pins, and 12 on the one wire, good ground and 0 volts on the one that sends the pulse i guess you call it, plug it into the crank sensor and goes back to 12, yet i am getting spark at the coil

thanks much, think thats all i did today except plow snow, sittin on top of the quad since my jimmy dont work lol

w

Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wadethenewf
hi all, hope everyone had a good day, or is having a good day.
did the tdc as you asked and it looks to me like the rotor button is maybe 5 degrees off the 6 mar, looks like lots of spark at the coil as well. but on a funny note, i got was in the middle of testing the crank sensor before i started this thread and decided as i had time to day to continue the test, it didnt turn out as i though at all or what i read, i have 3 wires, one that has power when the key is on, that is fine, the ground, the middle wire is fine and tested ok, but the wire that sends the 5 volt pulse to the computer also has 12 volts all the time, no off then 5 volts, did the test 3 times, and always the same, i unpluged the wiring, tested the pins, and 12 on the one wire, good ground and 0 volts on the one that sends the pulse i guess you call it, plug it into the crank sensor and goes back to 12, yet i am getting spark at the coil

thanks much, think thats all i did today except plow snow, sittin on top of the quad since my jimmy dont work lol

w
I'm sorry but your testing is invalid. Crank sensors are not on/off switches. Bottom line, if the crank sensor wasn't working just fine, you would not have any sparks at the coil or any fuel injector pulses.

Did you pull the spark plug and feel the compression right before the marks lined up? if so, it's looking like the distributor is in correctly. within 5° of #6 is would be considered normal. Need to have it running and do cam sensor retard to fine tune. A long shot would be if the outer ring on the balancer has rotated on the rubber and that is causing you to drop the distributor in wrong, but lets get that compression check on all the cylinders before going to the weird unlikely stuff.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

hi Les,

yes i did, i had a friend roll the truck manually for me and when i felt the compression, then checked the marks on the balancer thinger, they lined up, then checked the rotor button and it was may 4 or 5 degrees off being in line with that six mark on the distributer, plus i have lots of spark on the coil, i kinda figured the crank sensor was a waste of time but to be honest me and dad made up the the ittle stab thing to put in the wire to do the measurement, and i enjoy doing things with him, he is 82 and enjoys spending time in the shop together..that being said, everything i have read says the sensor should pulse is it rides over the cam, from 0 to 5 volts, but there is spark so i really have no idea.

i am waiting for scan tool and compression tester , what can i manually do next to rule something out,

thanks much//w, ps if ya ever wanna go snow mobiing or moose hunting have i got a run for you

Old 02-14-2020, 11:46 AM

Curious what you decided on for your scanner?

Probably you should be checking fuel pressure (don't see where we addressed that before) and have you considered bad fuel yet?

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-14-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member

Hi Les

not really from previous posts and chat i did the prime in the throttle body and still no joy so i had kinda ruled that out, its -22c here today so to cold to to up and work on it, been reading posts tho, and just as a thought do you thnk its worth taking a coolant temp sensor off and exchanging it, it does seem like its getting to much fuel, the plugs are certainly fouling

Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Wait until you get your scanner to diagnose the temp sensors....... -22C is pretty cold. I'm a chemist so I understand Celcius temp quite well.