2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015 | 04:04 PM
|
Beginning Member
chevelle1989 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If it's doing all this, you're not interpreting the scanner correctly There is obviously a problem

The "basics" must be correct. These are things that the OBDII system does not monitor directly, and they MUST be correct before attempting diagnosis.

Retrieve and post all DTC's.
AC Delco distributor cap, rotor, and plugs.
Plug wires.
Check & adjust camshaft retard, (mandatory after cam sensor replacement).
Check fuel pressure and leakdown, this thread explains, then post all 4 numbers: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/
The Snap-on diagnostic tablet checks all of that and it is all reads where it is suppose to be and there is not DTC Codes showing not even a check engine light so I am at a loss.....all and any help is appreciated

Old 03-28-2015 | 04:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

My point exactly. The scanner does not directly monitor any of that. YOU need to check it. If it were something that the OBDII system monitored directly, there would be DTC's in memory.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-28-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2015 | 08:13 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
My point exactly. The scanner does not directly monitor any of that. YOU need to check it. If it were something that the OBDII system monitored directly, there would be DTC's in memory.
Actually the Snap-On can directly monitor these and it shows you exactly whats is happening as you rev the motor or just driving down the road it shows you everything in real time as it is happening....if it found any problem it will throw a red flag for the part or what ever it is that's wrong and it shows nothing.....

Old 03-29-2015 | 09:56 AM
|
Beginning Member

Went out to try the truck again and double check everything and now it won't start it comes up with a Crankshaft position sensor Low Circuit......So now I don't know if I got a defective sensor or what starter is good has good crank battery is only 3 months old not sure where the signal plate is so will be hunting for that I don't believe the starting circuit is bad or it wouldn't turn over at all or very slow.....I will trace the cable from the sensor and see where it leads to and probably replace that....Any other Ideas and help is greatly appreciated.....Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015 | 02:52 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chevelle1989
Actually the Snap-On can directly monitor these and it shows you exactly whats is happening as you rev the motor or just driving down the road it shows you everything in real time as it is happening....if it found any problem it will throw a red flag for the part or what ever it is that's wrong and it shows nothing.....
Sorry, but I don't see how we can help you if you won't listen. You still haven't done the things in red below - you just keep throwing sensors at it and reading codes. That hasn't worked so far, right? If the engine won't start for checking camshaft retard, then at least verify the rotor is pointing to the 6 in the housing when the engine is on TDC#1. Does it have steady hot spark at the coil (coil terminal to ground, not spark jumping to coil wire) when cranking? If so, then forget all this crank and cam sensor stuff and get on with things.

------------------------

The "basics" must be correct. These are things that the OBDII system does not monitor directly, and they MUST be correct before attempting diagnosis.

Plug wires.
Check fuel pressure and leakdown, this thread explains, then post all 4 numbers:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eakdown-88305/

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-29-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2015 | 12:46 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Sorry, but I don't see how we can help you if you won't listen. You still haven't done the things in red below - you just keep throwing sensors at it and reading codes. That hasn't worked so far, right? If the engine won't start for checking camshaft retard, then at least verify the rotor is pointing to the 6 in the housing when the engine is on TDC#1. Does it have steady hot spark at the coil (coil terminal to ground, not spark jumping to coil wire) when cranking? If so, then forget all this crank and cam sensor stuff and get on with things.

------------------------

Plug wires.
Check fuel pressure and leakdown, this thread explains, then post all 4 numbers:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eakdown-88305/
I have done all the things in red and still nothing has shown a problem....Plugs and wires were just done about 6-7 months ago distributor and cap are all good fuel pressure is right where it should be.....Went to try to start it again today after checking all connections and plugs and it started but only ran for about 5 minutes then started to chug and no throttle response, sounded like pop corn almost like it was only running on 2 cylinders......I am at a loss....when I bought this truck I had found out after that it had been in a wreck.....There was an after-markert $700 radio/GPS reverse camera installed and that started acting up the camera worked on and off and then just quit the radio it self stopped working and began to smell like there was wires burning and would not turn off so I pulled it and what a rats nest of wiring there was behind there....So I am thinking that the wiring is so screwed up in this truck that it is causing all the problems I am just gonna sell it for parts locally and look for another truck......Thanks to all for the help...

Old 03-30-2015 | 11:35 AM
|
Beginning Member

I believe I have found the problem can any one tell me where the wire/cable ends up going from the crankshaft position sensor? I see that it is fished up through from the bottom but can not trace it as it is covered up by a cable wrap around and I can't see it inside the wrap don't want to get the wrong spot..........All help is greatly appreciated Thanks...

Old 03-30-2015 | 01:27 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chevelle1989
I believe I have found the problem can any one tell me where the wire/cable ends up going from the crankshaft position sensor? I see that it is fished up through from the bottom but can not trace it as it is covered up by a cable wrap around and I can't see it inside the wrap don't want to get the wrong spot..........All help is greatly appreciated Thanks...
Here you go

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Position Sensor-89360929_zpswtopjrnv.gif  
Old 03-31-2015 | 09:38 AM
|
Beginning Member

"Lesmyer"

Thanks for the help but all this shows is where the sensor is and plugs in I need to know where the other end/Plug is....I know the one on the sensor but don't know where the other end of the wire/cable is or where it goes I can not see it because of a plastic protective wrap around it.....If anyone knows where the other end is it would be greatly appreciated Thanks....

Old 03-31-2015 | 11:20 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The schematic shows exactly where the wires run. They go directly from the CKP sensor to the PCM, with no connectors in between.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor