2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crashed car, swapping the front

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road

Yeah well... I dont have insurance so thats that or else it would definitely be salvaged. I don't think insurance cares anyway, they never inspect the cars when insuring it so why would they have to inspect it after a repair that was done by me and not through them

Old 12-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bolbol
The frame is fine actually. The car was hit above it, the lights are toast the driver fender and the hood. Just the top of the frame on that front corner.

Even the suspension and the sway bars are fine no damage underneath
It`s hard to tell since no one can see it in person.From the looks of the pictures, it seems you don`t have a bent frame.But there`s one thing that bothers me..Is the way the body mount was ripped upwards.Even though the mounts themselves maybe dry rotted,which will make a tear real easier compared to a new one.Always get a second opinion.Have a body shop look at it for you.They should be able to get a good look at it, but this will require funds in doing so.If and when you install the replacement parts,this will tell (if at all) whether or not you have a bent frame.Like you`ve said, it`s mainly damage that`s above the frame mount, not a direct hit straight on.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I am willing to bet that your frame is slightly tweaked. I would pull the tranny out on your own, it might not be that bad since you don't have to put it back in. That way at least you won't have to pay to have it pulled out.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

I am currently in the process of clearing up my parking lot, I have a dead crown vic in there. Ima have the blazer towed to my lot cuz its on the street at the moment.

I will tear out everything thats bent or broken to clear up everything and if it looks fine I will have someone come down and look at it, if its not okay... then I'll try to take out the tranny myself and have it mounted on the 2002.

Im also curious.. What changes are there between the 2001 and 2002 model?

I tried looking on wikipedia but there wasnt anything on it. the 2001(crashed one) is 4x4 LT, the 2002(blown tranny) is 4wd LS but interior looks all the same.. Just different trims on the exterior of the doors.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Starting Member

I tore out everything that was bent or broken and I also took out the passenger side fender as well cuz it had scratches on it.

Here is what I am left with:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It seems that the tip of the frame is bent outwards a bit but overall it looks fine to me...
Also the body mount hole seems to be damaged.

Are these really going to cause driving issues?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If the tip is bent and the body mount hole is damaged, your frame most likely is bent which can cause issues.

I feel like this has been said already...

Old 12-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Starting Member

I swapped out everything pretty much and I found out that the frame has some sort of an issue with the body mount location.

When the body mount was installed(on the drivers side front) the fender bolts didnt line up with the front. What I did is I took out the body mount entirely and was able to put everything together except the hood. The body mount raised the drivers side fender up too high.

I cant afford to fix the tranny on the other car and I will have to drive this until I get something better. What can I do to make this driveable? What can I put in the space between the frame and the upper body? The space in between is 1/3d of the size of the body mount itself.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would not drive it personally, and I cant help you put something that could potentially be dangerous on the road. Sorry.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

The only option I can think of is if a shop can straighten the frame, but that going to cost you money.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

Don't drive it. The impact could have damaged the frame farther from the front too.

I think you've gotten all the advice said over and over. You have a complete Blazer missing a tranny and a tranny missing a blazer. Your wrecked blazer, can be a good parts resource, many times I wish I had the space to get one because its so much easier to just grab and go when something breaks or might have broken.

Do the smart thing and just make that 02 blazer whole

Quick Reply: Crashed car, swapping the front