2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crazy Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Crazy Gas Gauge

370?!!! Is it downhill everywhere you go? Before my gas guage took the dump, my comfort level on a full tank stopped at about280 miles for daily driving. Would jump up to about 325 when on the highway with the cruise control on. My mileage stays pretty steady at about 17.5 in town and I've gotten up to23 on hwy.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Starting Member
djremix is an unknown quantity at this point

Same for me,the gas gauge in my 97 has been weird for the past year or so. I fill the gas tank up and it shows full, goes down to about1/2 a tank, stays there and when it's about 1/4 tank, gauge goes up to full again...weird! So I have been using my tripometer (?)to gauge myself on when to refill. I normaly refill at about 250-260 miles (city driving). I've made it to 296 once and it started to sputter.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:10 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word of advice to all of you who know that your blazer gets 300+ miles per tank.......you are KILLING your fuel pump.....yeah that $600+ part everyone is talking about in this thread.....your killing it...every time you run your tank below 1/4 full. These pumps are mounted inside the tank because it uses the fuel that it's submerged in to keep it cool....if you run it that low on fuel you are over-heating the pump...what happens to your engine when you overheat it? That's the same thing that will happen to your 600 dollar fuel pump.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 AM
snyper94z28 is an unknown quantity at this point

my question is this, if so many are screwing up then why not a recall or tsb on the issue? that many of them going bad and all....

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Mine has been screwy for as long as i've owned my blazer. Now it finally is stuck on E unless I fill it all the way up then it starts to work properly till Half tank then the dancing begins. I hope all I need is to replace the module and float, alot cheaper then the whole pump, those things are crazy expensive!!!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: snyper94z28

my question is this, if so many are screwing up then why not a recall or tsb on the issue? that many of them going bad and all....
At least they're no longer built into the fuel pump....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There will never be a recall for this issue as it is not a safety hazard.

Here is the text from the GM Fuel System Additive TSB:
Fuel System - GM Fuel System Treatment Plus(R)
Bulletin No.: 05-00-89-078A Date: September 14, 2006
INFORMATION Subject:
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models:
2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078 (Section 00 - General Information).

The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco(R), use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits

Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

Cleans - Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
Prevents - Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
Protects - By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
Removes - Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the info kyle!! Have you tried that fuel system cleaner before, if you have does it work???

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I use a large bottle of Chevron (w/ Techron) at every oil change. Never have had a fuel sender problem with any of my vehicles on this regiment. The GM Fuel System Treatment is probably every bit as good, but I have never tried it.

Just be aware that if your gauge is already going wonky, a fuel system cleaner/treatment may not cure your problem immediately (or at all). Once these deposits are there, they are very difficult to remove from the electrical grid that is your fuel level sending unit. You may have to use either product for longer periods of time. For that purpose, the GM Fuel System Treatment may be the better choice for removing the deposits that are already there.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
BF Veteran

Ok I am going to try it, cause this morning after I got off work a lil bit ago my gauge worked just fine all the way home. So I will try it and report my findings.

Quick Reply: Crazy Gas Gauge