2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crazy theft alarm. @^*&%**#!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
mudcat is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy theft alarm. @^*&%**#!!

99 S10 V6 Blazer with factory alarm system. Horn blows & light blink for no reason. Never know when it might sound off---middle of night/middle of day makes no difference. 2 or 3 am 2 or 3 times per month is just too damm much!!! I have searched to forum; finding no answer, so I removed the horn fuse to shut it up. I can put up with the lights blinking after midnight, but it runs the battery down.
Surely there is some way to disable this system, but no one seems to know how to do it. I'm tired of it & would gladly rip it out, but I don't know what else it might be tied into and/or what else I might screw up.

I posted this in the Electrical forum, but not much activity there.

Opinion, suggestions, instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Im not sure how or if you can disable it but my guess would be you have a bad door switch. So it thinks the door is being opened.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
Im not sure how or if you can disable it but my guess would be you have a bad door switch. So it thinks the door is being opened.
Door switch?? Are you talking, the door button that turns the interior lights on/off; if so, it functions properly; do you know how I can test it??

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to test all of the door switches with a multimeter as suggested above. The front doors will have the switch in the latch itself, requiring you to pull the door panel to access them. Something is causing those switches to open up during the night, triggering the alarm.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You need to test all of the door switches with a multimeter as suggested above. The front doors will have the switch in the latch itself, requiring you to pull the door panel to access them. Something is causing those switches to open up during the night, triggering the alarm.
Good info! I didn't know that switches were in the door handle. Here is might be the problem--- the left front (driver) door hinge is worn; causing the door to drop (sag) down quite a bit upon opening. Could this be the culprit??

Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It probably isn't helping matters. I have never dismantled a door latch to see exactly how the switch is activated though.