2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cutoff switch for lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cutoff switch for lights?

I want to install a cutoff switch for my turn signals, head and taillights. Just flip them on and off on command while on the road or parked. I installed one to cut power to my subs by putting it on the remote wire, but then just got a remote bass ****, and now just would like to rewire it to the lights. Can anyone help me figure out which wire(s) to connect to this switch, or how to run them if they're not right there on the steering column?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vehicle information would be good. From your other thread you recently created, I see that you have a 98 Blazer. Please put this information into your signature and attach it to all of your posts so that we do not have to hunt for that information.

I cannot see how something like this would be useful... It just adds a failure point into the system which potentially can cause problems. Just seems irresponsible as well...

Once you have wiring diagrams, I am sure you will find a way to pull it off though.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Why not just disable your daytime running lights, and then bypass the auto headlights? Then your 'cutoff switch' is your stock headlight switch?

And what kind of stalker activities are you gettin into that you need complete darkness??

Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Why not just disable your daytime running lights, and then bypass the auto headlights? Then your 'cutoff switch' is your stock headlight switch?

And what kind of stalker activities are you gettin into that you need complete darkness??
The stock headlight switch doesn't turn off the taillights.

Oh, and...

The kind of stalker activities that require complete darkness.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TehFattie
The stock headlight switch doesn't turn off the taillights.

Oh, and...

The kind of stalker activities that require complete darkness.

I would hope others would follow suite, but really, I don't condone to illegal tampering of vehicle safety systems which includes giving out data to circumvent such systems IMHO.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

just disable the DRLs and the AHL like wolfpack said. The you can turn the lights on and off with the headlight switch.

The reason i did it was so i could turn the lights on when i needed them not when it started to get dark. Then i use my running lamps. I also like it so i can sit in a parking lot at school or where ever and i can turn just my running lamps on.

But it seems that you have other reasons for doing this so this is as much info im gonna give.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Itd be much easier to do the AHL and DRL mods, then just mount a descrete switch for the BRAKE lights. You could probably put a switch in through the fuse box, as I believe the brake lights are theyre on circuit.

fyi brake light =/= taillight.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
But it seems that you have other reasons for doing this so this is as much info im gonna give.
I basically want to be able to sit without my lights on but the truck running. We've had a rash of break-ins and vandalism up and down my street, and we started to set up a neighborhood watch type-thing.

It's funny, you'd think with a county lockup for patrols being next door to my parking lot, we wouldn't have problems, but we have more than the other streets around us. After a friend of mine had a 52" LCD TV disappear from his apartment and my window was broken around 1:30 in the morning when I wasn't home the next night, we all started trading off nights camping the street and parking lots with cameras and the occasional rifle or shotgun. We want to catch whomever is doing it, and sitting in a truck that I can just flip on the lights and start snapping, or pursue, if I'm lucky. Try to get plates and a vehicle description.

Plus, being able to get off the freeway, pull onto a street and cut my lights would be REALLY useful when I'm clocked doing 87 in a 60 in traffic when I'm taking a pizza delivery after dark. :P

Old 03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran

All legitimate reasons. I fully support this endeavor

Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i see. do a search on DRL disable and Auto headlight disable. They are both easy mods to do.

Quick Reply: Cutoff switch for lights?