2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cutting a hole

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
jim109 is on a distinguished road

i,m thinking of cutting a hole in the floor board of a 1999 blazer to get at the fuel pump. Good idea or not ? Jim

Never mind . Ive come to my senses. Jim

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say that it's been done before. I wouldn't advise it, but you should be able to find info through a search. "hole+pump+floor" should come up with something.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's been discussed before.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road

I remember posting the measurements for this one relative to the tie downs so that it could be cut from above. I've pulled the tank twice since then and it was absolutely brilliant.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM

That looks pretty good. Tried a search cant find your measurements? MINE IS 1999 BLAZER 2DR

Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Mine is a 2000 LS 2DR so it should be the same. I'll have a look for you because you don't want to go any further forward than I did: there's a support crossmember just in front of that hole that you should leave alone.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM

To anyone facing similar issues and reading this thread in the future...my 2000 2DR Blazer LS now has a custom access panel under the carpet and directly above the in-tank fuel pump. (right where GM should've put one originally!) I did this after first breaking all three brittle plastic nipples off of the pump while removing it without access to the top of the tank. PS - I was aware of how little play there is in the nylon lines and still did it!!

Next time, it will take me minutes instead of days to drop the tank. After lifting the carpet and measuring and marking, I drilled a hole in a corner and cut a rectangular access panel with a fine toothed hacksaw blade in my jigsaw. I didn't cut the patch completely out; I left one corner uncut (diagonally opposing the hole) so that I could just bend it back out of the way. In the end, I bent it shut and put a 3/8" bolt in the corner hole to hold it in place. Then I sealed it with silicone. Sounds funny, but I'm almost looking for an excuse to pull the tank now!

I took measurements from the centre lines of the bolt holes used to secure the triangular tie down rings in the cargo area.
Rear was cut in line with tie down rings.
Front was cut 6-1/2" forward of rear tie down rings. (this leaves about a 1/4" until you hit a strengthening crossmember)
Sides were cut 10 inches in from the tie down rings on each side.

Hope this helps someone in the future - God bless the internet!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Why wont it show the picture?
IN THE OTHER PIC IS IT LOOKING BACK TO FRONT OR SIDE TO SIDE?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 AM

hey jim - WHEN YOU USE CAPITAL LETTERS IT MEANS THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING AT ME, AND I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT HERE....lol

I'm standing at the back of the truck with the tailgate down and facing the front in the photo. There was only one picture.

Quick Reply: cutting a hole