2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Axle & Front Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 07:47 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default CV Axle & Front Calipers

Couple of weeks ago when making a turn I heard a noise; sounded like a tire rubbing against something. Initially I thought it was the clutches in the limited slip diff I put in a few months back. It was about 32°F out, thought it was just cold or something. Over the next few days I found the noise was coming from the right front and occurred only when making a left turn. I checked the front lug nuts, looked to see if there were any rub marks...but saw nothing. Removed the right wheel, checked the caliper, make sure it was not stuck, that it would slide. I did notice there was grease on the lower control arm under the inner CV boot. I expected to find a split in the CV boot, but nothing found. Continued to drive over the new couple of weeks and the as long as only made wide left turns, no noise.....well....that is not the solution.
Also when I removed the caliper I noticed the pads were wearing at an angle, that the pistons were not applying equal force on the pads, forward piston not moving as much. Pulled the left side caliper, found the same thing.

Ordered a replacement right side CV axle and new brake pads. I had a set of caliper seals/dust boots sitting on the shelf, so I decided since I have the time now, to just replace these instead of getting rebuilt calipers.

Took everything off needed to get to the CV axle, replaced it, cleaned the calipers off, replaced the seals, put everything back together. I think it took longer to bleed the brakes than it did to replace the CV axle and rebuild the calipers.

Anyways, all is good now....but my questions are regarding the life of the CV axle boots and calipers.
I had replaced the CV axle in 2015 at 107k miles as the original CV axle also threw grease out with no splits. Now it is 2021, Blazer has 168700 miles, so that is only 5+ yrs and 60k miles on this CV axle. Not much time or miles. I do not off-road other than the occasional gravel road. Very little time in 4x4 mode. No snow, no ice....not even much rain....just heat. Is this what is yielding such a short life of the CV boot? Have replaced the left side for the same grease leaking issue.

Regarding the front calipers and angle brake pad wear; I replaced the OEM calipers with rebuilt ones in 2011 along with new pads and rotors. Have replaced the front pads once since that time due to same problem. I thought the problem was the caliper was not sliding, so I have pulled the caliper pins several times over the time period and re-greased them. But the angle wear still occurs. Are you guys experiencing the same? Is there something about the caliper design that causes the forward piston not to move as freely as the rearward one? Oh and there was no corrosion or any difference between the pistons of each caliper. The piston bores were all clean and smooth...no pitting seen.

Comments....ideas......???

Old 02-13-2021, 03:06 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Quick update/correction....the rubbing noise is still there. Apparently it was not the CV axle that was making the noise. Both wheel hub bearings have been replaced...and I spun the right side wheel bearing when I had everything apart....did not hear or feel anything...but of course no load on it.

Noise is less than before I changed the right side CV axle. Seems to be more apparent on pavement than on dirt in 4wd. Took a passenger with me this time; she heard it from the left side, whereas I always heard it from the right side. Guess I will be taking a look at the left side CV axle......

Also I should have stated that noise is not heard when doing a really slow speed turn; have to be going at least 25-30 mph...which is what had me thinking it was a CV joint.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-14-2021 at 12:41 PM.