2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

damaged petcock valve - no flow

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Thanks Tom,
Never seen these before. Just watched a YT video and looks a nifty gadget to have in a garage. I liked it
Things they don't say it is not for a coolant. The cooling systems do not have dipsticks, but the tanks with a level marks and an overflow lines. Moreover, it is all located above, on top of the other cooling system components...
Cheers
I've been using mine on coolant for years with no ill effects. The thinnest suction tube has no problem snaking past the oil or transmission cooler and getting to the bottom of the radiator tank. It drains just as well as the petcock (when the petcock works), and doesn't spill a drop. I even use it for gasoline, which they warn against, but I think it's just a safety thing, rather than something that will cause damage.

It's also super handy for draining transmission pans before removal, and does a pretty respectable job of vacuum bleeding brakes.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Lower hose drain, fill, run drain, rinse and repeat.
I can visualize it in a following way:
- open the cap of a coolant tank and provide a water flow using the garden hose
- detach the bottom hose as a drain
- give it a crank and run till all dirt comes out (check the bottom of a dishpan)
Seems legit.
Yup, I know, the engines love the temperature of 185F and it's definitely not a water from a garden hose. But they don't like the crap into a cooling systems way more.
Am I still into a reality...?
Cheers, Mike

Old 05-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
I've been using mine on coolant for years with no ill effects. The thinnest suction tube has no problem snaking past the oil or transmission cooler and getting to the bottom of the radiator tank. It drains just as well as the petcock (when the petcock works), and doesn't spill a drop. I even use it for gasoline, which they warn against, but I think it's just a safety thing, rather than something that will cause damage.

It's also super handy for draining transmission pans before removal, and does a pretty respectable job of vacuum bleeding brakes.
Gosh, You have surprised me. I wouldn't expect You can drain the coolant too. I am gonna definitely look for one of these on a local market. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Glad I could help!