2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dash Lites on. Key still in my Pocket ???!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member
Brian5792 is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Lites on. Key still in my Pocket ???!!

My '98 LT has some issues with dash warning lites & symbols being on (ABS, Battery, Security, etc.) which I know are false so I ignore them for now. I also have the auto trans selection (PRND...) and odom lites that periodically go out. (A tap on the plastic brings them back so I'll deal with this later too) But a new thing happened. I re-connected the battery after I had disconnected it a few days prior and jumped in to start 'er up. I found several dash lites to be already on - and I hadn't put the key in yet! I should have paused to record which were lit. It was probably the "normal" culprits and might have been the gear selector and odom, too. I do recall the "Gate Ajar" lite was on which has never come on before. (Didn't even know I had this one!) It started up fine but the odom had switched to Kilometers! (this happened once before too) After returning home I disc'd the battery again and, a couple days later, I was back to having the "normal" bad lites and miles instead of kilometers.

So I'm thinking, since the car was acting like it had a key inserted when it really didn't, that I may need (among other things I know!) a new ignition cylinder soon. Hoping some of our more knowledgible members will weigh in with their opinions before I open the wallet. Thanks,

Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have had my key cylinder hang from time to time..its like you said...it may be showing you it is getting a little worn out. also i have had the cluster go wacky after a battery install...it fixed itself so i dont know why they do it. as far as the cluster with lights flickering the solder points may be getting loose.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM
spittybays

Hey Brian, I just took a look at your old posts, cluster problems for awhile.
Might be time to pull the cluster and take a look at were it connects. I can only describe it as a printed circuit board on vinyl. On mine there were two problems. Both were obvious when I pulled it. The connector was folded over and there was corrosion, like at some point coffee or something was spilled.
If theres corrosion you can try cleaning with some contact cleaner.
On straight google put in "blazer cluster images" and you will see what I'm referring to.
Prices for a rebuilt are not as much as you think.
Go to youtube for a look at how it comes out.
Good luck.