2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
RookieAtThis is on a distinguished road
Default Dead Blazer

Hello All.

I have a 2000 S10 ZR2 blazer 4x4 2 door that died on me 2 days ago. I have had zero symptoms leading up to this. Left the driveway and about 50 yards down the street it just died. Still had power and when I tried to start it all it would do was turn over.
After about 2 hours of googling I went back out to try and start it again. It started but only idled for about 10 seconds and died. Started it again and pressed the accelerator and the whole vehicle started to shake as the engine was running very rough. It has a new fuel filter, maf sensor (which went bad a couple months back". It now has a new fuel pump only because one of the male ends snapped off as I was unhooking the fuel lines from it. Replaced all 02 sensors when changed fuel filter.
I also do not hear any vacuum leaks and I pulled the 02 sensor from in front of the catalytic converter for possible back pressure with the same result.

I have searched and searched the forums for an answer to my problem but all I have found so far are problems similar but their vehicle either idles no problem or accelerates without error. I have checked the pcv valve it does rattle and does have suction. I do have good fuel pressure and fire.

When the vehicle does stall out and die I do hear about 4 quick clicks from the top of the intake. The egr valve does not appear to be blocked or overly contaminated. I'm at a stand still on what to look for now and I have to have it running by Monday. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. FIXED COIL WIRE WAS BAD UNDER SHIELD

Last edited by RookieAtThis; 09-20-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: FIXED
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What kind of fuel pump did you put in?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 PM
spittybays

Wow if it was running good and then just did this something broke or fell off.
Couple of things to do first. Check the wire from the coil to cap and all plug wires. Make sure with key on you have 12v going to coil. Next take distributor off and see if you slop, broken gear tooth.
Leak down test would be good, key on engine off 60 psi no lower then 50 psi after ten mins. The thing is even a crappy after market fuel pump should show some signs before complete fail.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Just finished checking the cap and rotar. Both look normal. There is very slight play in the rotar and I am able to raise and lower it about a quarter of an inch. Not sure if that's normal. I do not have the tools to test fuel pressure.
Any ideas on the clicks that come from the top of the intake when it's dying from an idle when it decides to idle?
I've read many posts on similar problems that relate to egr valve, crankshaft position sensor, passlock, spider injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, catalytic converter, vacuum lines, plugs, plug wires, pcv valve "which when I placed my thumb over would idle and when not it dies but then again it dies anyway".
But what I have not found is a solution as to which of if any would have made it just die without a single code.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
What kind of fuel pump did you put in?

AC/Delco and will have a pressure tester tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
spittybays

Get a can of carb cleaner and clean the crap out of the idle air control valve (IAC). Make sure you push the spring back and forth a bunch of times. Not sure were it is on yours mines a 95 with a different setup topside. It should be up around the intake with some vac lines around it. Most likely # 20 torx driver.
Seems like your distributor is ok when I say slop I mean alot to cause that.
If you cant find the IAC do a search on the main forum page goggle box IAC location

Last edited by spittybays; 09-19-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by spittybays
Get a can of carb cleaner and clean the crap out of the idle air control valve (IAC). Make sure you push the spring back and forth a bunch of times. Not sure were it is on yours mines a 95 with a different setup topside. It should be up around the intake with some vac lines around it. Most likely # 20 torx driver.
Seems like your distributor is ok when I say slop I mean alot to cause that.
If you cant find the IAC do a search on the main forum page goggle box IAC location
Cleaned it the best I could. The range on the plunger is maybe a quarter of an inch but plugged in and turning key on and off. Manually it's another inch and hard to push and pull. What is the normal operating range one the iac?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
spittybays

I don't have an answer.....anybody?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Put a new one on it same result. I'm lost!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
spittybays

God Man!!! Stop changing stuff till you at least do a leakdown test!

Quick Reply: Dead Blazer