2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Desperare

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Starting Member
Nicks tears is on a distinguished road
Default Desperare

We have a 2000 s10 blazer we bought with a brand new engine. 120000 on the vehicle 5000 on the engine.

It wobbles erratically at high speeds 50-70 much if the time. Shocks are new, tires fine, we've had them rotated and no change. Ball joints changed.

We've had half a dozen guys look at it. One said their is too much play in the axle. Another said power steering gear box. The wheel does not move much when it acts up. It doesn't seem to drift, it seems as though its not in the suspension but a roll or wobble of the body in the body. None if these guys have seen anything in the springs, body mounts, tie Rods, etc.

One guy at a junkyard heard us talking about it and said he had a jeep Cherokee and described it like you were on a waterbed. That is a pretty good description of my problem. He said he had an internal break in the rear axle.

I actually typed nicksters in for a user name when I created this account, but the iPad auto changed it to nicks tears, and that sounds about right at the moment.

Does any of this sound right? I have a few ideas from mechanics but don't know what to do. It seems like a good vehicle except for this issue. I mean I can't have them start to fix all this crap one by one and drive a 13 year old vehicle for a reason. I can put gas in it and change oil, but that is the extent of my mechanic abilities.

It is my wife's vehicle with my two young sons and I am very worried about safety. Please help. We are desperate.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

control arm bushings, idler arm, steering box. bad alignment will exaggerate any worn parts.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
Nicks tears is on a distinguished road

well we just got it aligned

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Cool

If there was anything wrong with suspentions parts most aligment shops will tell you first

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

maybe bring it back to the alignment shop, they might have missed something. If everything checks out, i don't know why it would wobble...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

So you are saying it sways back and fourth? or it shakes? If it sways back and fourth the internal break in the axle sounds about right. My uncle has Tahoe and he somehow internally broke his axle and he said it felt like the rear end was floating and swaying back and fourth.

If its just shaking it could be your tire/rim balance. My rims are out of balance and my truck shakes pretty bad when i get to 70.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
99cbsuv is an unknown quantity at this point

Any signs of wear on your tires? I had a fairly noticeable wobble and thought I had a bad shock, but it turned out to be broken bands in the driver's side front tire. Once I got new tires, no more wobble

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

take each tire off and roll along and look for a "broken belt"
you will be able to see a shift in the tread

also lift each wheel and try to push in and out on the entire wheel