2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Did my mechanic do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member
kawidood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did my mechanic do this?

Hey all,

Last week I took my 97 Blazer to my mechanic to fix my intake manifold gasket because I had oil in my coolant. He also replaced the fan cluth and ignition coil while he was at it. Anyway, when i went to pick up the car i started it up and noticed the SES light was on and the car was sputtering. Turns out the fuel injector for cyl. 1 isn't working. So he says he'll change the fuel injector, no charge. Then he calls me and says oh, he can't change just 1 since I have the spider configuration of injectors, I need to replace the entire spider. Now, I replaced the entire spider almost exactly 2 years ago because of a similar problem. 1 or 2 FI's were bad and my mechanic reommended I change them all, and I did. So here's my question. If my mechanic decides to make me pay for the new spider, can I take him to court and win?? My only "evidence" that he caused the damage was because I didn't have a problem with the FI before I brought it in, and I have a problem with it when I picked it up. Could the work that he did have caused the FI to break? I don't know which pieces he had to remove to access the gaskets, but I imagine he might've crinked a FI line or done something to cause one of the FI to fail while he was tinkering around in the engine. Before I sue him I'd like to know if I have any ground to stand on.

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Did my mechanic do this?

If he did it right the upper intake did not have to come off, so the fuel lines for the individual injectors would not have been harmed. What I have seen in the past is that when the main plug is reinserted into the top of the manifold, sometimes a connector will get bent over and not fire that injector. Now as far as replacing all the injectors, no that is BULL. On 96 and newer 4.3, 5.0, 5.7's the injectors can be serviced individually. The local dealer probally stocks them I know mine does. Your mechanic would have to do something really stupid other than bending over one of the terminals to cause an injector not to fire. Korey.