2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

disableing of shifter interlock

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 AM
racsan is on a distinguished road
Default disableing of shifter interlock

im wishing to disable the "press brake to shift from park" interlock. every once in a while it just doesnt want to relase the shifter from park and id rather just be done with it. i have a '97 with the console floor shifter. i tried unplugging th electrical connection at the shifter itself but that just made it never release at all. can 2 wires in that small harness be jumpered together to let it be shifted freely without stepping on the brake? seems i can hear something up under the dash or in the steering coulmn when it does work and i step on the brake and push the button on the shifter. it only makes this "click" noise when it doesn indeed release. the haynes book hasnt been very helpfull here for this situation. thanks for any help/thoughts/advise.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

you could jump it but i would advise you yo fix it correctly cause if you have the wire jumped all the time it could overheat the circut and blow the fuse or possibly melt a wire or two, rare but possible. if i were you, i would wait until the problem acts up again and when it does pull the connector and try jumping the two wires with a paperclip or a small piece of wire and if that powered the under dash seloniod then you have a bad switch in the shifer, if not then you either have a intermediate open in the circurt or a seleniod thats going bad.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

I sorta had the same problem, but mine would not let the key turn back and I could remove the key every now and then, simple fix took some electrical cleaner and sprayed in where the console shifter electrical release mechanism is, down where the 2 wires are and worked the button on the shifter many times, then took some pb blaster and sprayed in there and worked it some more, have not had a problem since hope this helps

Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with disabling the shift interlock solenoid all together on a floor shift model is that there will be nothing to prohibit shifting of the transmission. Meaning... You will be able to shift the transmission with the keys out, etc.

Here's a schematic of what's going on. It looks like you can bypass the brake switch by supplying power to the solenoid dark green / white wire with a RUN ignition source.

Attached Thumbnails disableing of shifter interlock-97_shiftinterlock_sch.gif  
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 AM
racsan is on a distinguished road

o.k., thanks, i'll try that. this is primarily the wife's vehicle, ive thought of changeing the steering coulmn out with the "parts" '94 blazer to get a coulmn shifter, but not sure if i want to go to that much work right now. my biggest "to-do" at the moment is the front diff leak i seem to have on it. i think once i get all these little bugs worked out that this could be a nice vehicle, dad has loved them, he is on his 4rth (and this '97 was his 3rd)