Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Center Column Shifter to Center Console Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road
Default Center Column Shifter to Center Console Shifter

My truck is a 2000 Chevy Blazer with an automatic trans and has the center column shifter. I want to convert my column shifter to a center console shifter like I have seen on some Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmies. From what I have seen all it takes is a dash cluster without the PRND display, a center column shell without the cutout for the tree shifter, and a center console with the shifter.

I know that I have to reroute the shifter cable, but after that I can't think of anything else. Am I forgeting anything; like computers that need to be reprogrammed or anything? If anyone has done this what did you have to do?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Mrthelaxer is on a distinguished road

*bump* i was looking into this too, you have to get a new cable for the shifter i believe, which is no small sum its like 80-90 bucks for a simple cable, and you shouldnt have to get a new cluster as the console shifter, atleast the stock one, comes with the same wiring harness

Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

What about the neutral safety switch?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
blazedmeanbean is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer 2wd 2dr console shifter

ok I've been ***** deep in my blazer. so far saw everything out of a 02 xtreme into it. now I just did a dash swap. had to swap out dash harness. 02 used a def harness cluster bcm airbags. got that change.
now for the fun stuff. I got the shifter self taper to the floors in the same spot as befor. my cab harness dose not have the plug for console harness. got the light hook up the the dash dimer. shift cable is longer for the console shifter also u need the arm off the tramission too. dose anyone have a clean cut way to wire this thing in. I got 5 wires that I need too hook up for the parking lock. so not going to zip tie it

Old 04-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
Monkeywrench71986 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by matthewp
My truck is a 2000 Chevy Blazer with an automatic trans and has the center column shifter. I want to convert my column shifter to a center console shifter like I have seen on some Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmies. From what I have seen all it takes is a dash cluster without the PRND display, a center column shell without the cutout for the tree shifter, and a center console with the shifter.

I know that I have to reroute the shifter cable, but after that I can't think of anything else. Am I forgeting anything; like computers that need to be reprogrammed or anything? If anyone has done this what did you have to do?
check just behind heater outllet drivers side for a five wire connector w a green loop wire. Remove loop plug in sub harness from shifter, the cluster doesn't have to be swapped unless it annoys you, remove column shift lock will be opposite side of shift cable, unplug and tape into secured position, remove selector handle remove torx screw in handle once secure old lock out lever or when key is cycled it will drop on its own and key removal will be problematic, on the floor you will need to split carpet under console and remove insulation once cleared you will see two small dimples in floor those two are on the spot for the mounting plate, the rear you will need to mark the rear you need to tack 3x 10mm bolts add one washered nut to each you will need the quarter inch for proper fit and finish. No comps bcms or programming. If the plugin is not supported. You will need to wire to brake light one to rheostat two to ground and one to ignition feed.