2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

door hinge troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Exclamation door hinge troubles

on my 96 blazer 4 door, the drivers side inner upper hinge thats connected to the body is split were the door pin bushings are located anyone ever encounter this issue it was nnotmy neglect, but a problem from the previous owner is there anywhere to purchase a new one so i can mig it in place or do i just have to go hit the local pick a part and go from there anyone out there that knows please post where to pick up a new one thanks ahead of time guys some info would be great.....or maybe swart will chime in on this hopefully

Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Starting Member

sorry for the double post, i think i found a replacement from lmctrucks.com part # 29-7720 for $49.99 i dont think that is out of reason in anyway, a great deal in my opinion, I will post results about how it turns out, seems like a nice quality kit to me plus everything is new instead of hacked and whacked from a donor in the local pick a part that could end up leaving me in the same position in a few months not cool in my book.

Last edited by LowLife; 03-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you saw it but I'm working on adapting F-body door hinges to the Blazer. They are from a unibody car, so the door hinges are made for doors that are probably just as heavy. I will be rid of bushings forever. Requires the same amount of drilling and some minor body work.
Guess we'll have to compare notes when it's all said and done.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i bought my replacements from an amazon.com. i used oreillyauto.com to search the dorman part number then used the dorman part number on amazon. i think mine were like $33...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Starting Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TZFBird
Not sure if you saw it but I'm working on adapting F-body door hinges to the Blazer. They are from a unibody car, so the door hinges are made for doors that are probably just as heavy. I will be rid of bushings forever. Requires the same amount of drilling and some minor body work.
Guess we'll have to compare notes when it's all said and done.
Hmm no more door bushings .......that sounds perfect to me, My question would have to be are they going to still work if i am only changing my upper? this is my d/d and i cant afford more then 6-8 hours of work at a time with this truck 1 time a week, but for my bravada thats under construction i am going to do that conversion for peace of mind for sure, i am gonna go look up your thread right now to see what i can come up with.

TO CHEVYTRUCKDOOD, im also gonna look into your way if its gonna be the same thing, but cheaper saving money is saving money.....gas is $3.50 a gallon in pittburgh so i can use all the money i can get

Well i can mig weld the new hinge on when i get it, But how was i ever supposed to bolt this new hinge in place?? there is no access behind the door hinge on the body? i might be just over thinking this but my bravada has the whole front clip off so its real easy for me to look and see there is no access behind there and im confused....welding is no problem for me as long as the new hinge that is sent will be made from a material that can be welded properly. let me know here guys im gettin sick of holding my door up to shut it, and i really dont want my door striker/stryker however its spelled to get broken off big pain there had to fix a few of those on customer cars from door pins being let go for so long at the shop

Last edited by LowLife; 03-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

my hinges are jacked up still i havent replacedem. im actually going to wait tilli can afford to pay a bodyshop because i want them exactly straight. my door still shuts and opens fine bu there not elling how long that will last.
ill try to rememebr to take picture later....

Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Starting Member

oh my problem is i cant go to a shop.....i work there lol, im still just lost at how they expect that backing plate to go on & the nuts too ever be tight when there is zero access behind the body where the hinge mounts

Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 AM

LowLife,

So far I don't have anything into the project. I'm having the spacers made up out of aluminum to account for the hinge size difference. Steel would weigh to much since they are 3/4" - 1" thick.

I should have some pics of some progress in the thread by next week I hope. I'm hoping total cost to be under $30 start to finish for both front doors. However if buying hinges was required it would be a bit more.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Starting Member
Lightbulb

well i got around to changing the door hinge today ended up using a few of my fun tools, A air hammer, sawz all, drill, and my angle grinder then just a few sockets. I started by taking the door off the truck and sitting it off to the side, drilling out the 4 spot welds on the door hinge, hitting the hinge with the air hammer to get it away from the body some, using the sawz all to cut the hinge off the body grinding the body back to smooth where it was mounted, then took the new hinge and bolted it on with the fender bolt to hold it in place and sprayed some paint thru the holes on the new hinge to get a idea of where to drill the new holes, pulled the new hinge off drilled the holes then the fun started trying to figure out how to get that backing plate behind the body with no access holes.....i ended up removing the d. side kick panel then the e-brake assembly and thru the new holes drilled ran some bailing wire down and wrapping it thru 2 holes on the backing plate and pulling it up to where i needed it to be then just put the bolts into the hinge and tightened it up, put the door back on and done. not the hardest thing in the world to do just annoying hope this helps anyone out there who may have the some problem now or someday soon

Last edited by LowLife; 03-10-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Good to hear. Thanks for the idea for the backing plate. How to do it has been going through my mind since I started this. I'll give that a shot first.

Quick Reply: door hinge troubles