2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door hinges

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Door hinges

I looked at a couple older threads about hinges and, I'm probably wrong, but are they welded on?It looked like there was a bolt on each hinge where it connected to the body that held the rest of it up mine are in need of replacement soon.
Starting to get a little frustrated w/ my baby, I had to get the water pump replaced on it today. [:'(]
Anyways, thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Door hinges

The hinges are welded on. If they had been replaced, there would be 4 bolts holding each side of the hinge on for both the upper and lower hinge.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 PM

What are those bolts then? Did I describe them good enough?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures are worth a thousand words... I can't remember my hinges very well on my old Bravada so I can't really visualize what you are talking about. Or I should say I don't remember there being a bolt...

But I do know that 1 bolt isn't holding the door on.

If you still have some bushing left, then you wouldn't be needing to replace the whole hinge, just the bushings and pins.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM

Ok, i dont know where our camera is, but I'll take pics and note what I'm talking about tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 PM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point

My hinges on my 2000 Blazer are definitely welded on to both the body and the door. The only bolt looking things are the hinge pins (my driver side bushings are also in need of repair) and the bigger door stopper/detent pin/bolt. Both are vertically oriented and I suppose could be considered/construed as "bolts" except (like my wife's formerly male/neutered cat) they got no nutz.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 AM
richblaz99 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes like swart and filtair said they are effectively welded on both side , body and door.
I have a 99, 2 dr and about 4 mounths ago i notice a clunk on bumpi road on the bottom side of my left door near the kick pannel. At the beginning i was suspecting someting in the suspension.was not.
Ifind out i had a loose in the door hinges. fix: I change the hinge pins and bushings with one of my friend
(easier if your two). and voilĂ*. no more noise. By the way it's cheap. A set of2 pins with bushings for one
door is about 15$. To remove the spring is a little bit a pain in the neck, if you don't have the special tool.
We didn't have it.So we work itout with a screw driver and a hard piece of hard wood.

Hope you the best.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Nope the pins have definatly worn into the hinges [:'(]

Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the bushings worn out and damaged or are the hinges themselves worn into the dreaded "egg-shape"?

If they are worn into the hinges you may have to either - put some weld on the holes and re-shape to replace the worn metal or possibly (does anyone know if this would work) put some JB weld on the hinge and re-shape. I'm going to try the JB Weld route as I don't have access to a welder...

I have read where if they are totally FUBARed you may have to take them to a shop and have them cut off and replaced... and hope they get them properly aligned.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

I do believe that there are now bolt on replacements, but the only place I have seen them are in the LMC truck cataloge and they aren't very well described. Someone should give them a call and see what exactly is offered and what is required for installation. I was just watching a show over this past weekend where they replaced door hinges on a Ford pickup with a similar arrangement. They drilled out the spot welds on both the door and the body, then installed threaded backer plates inside of both and bolted on the replacement hinges. The bolts allowed for some adjustment so alignment wasn't as critical as it is with welding on replacements. But it still didn't look like a backyard type job...

*EDIT* GMPartsDirect.com now lists them, but their cataloge no longer gives the PNs and the descriptions now are horrible. I don't know if these are the service part replacements or if they are original weld on type.

Quick Reply: Door hinges