2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

door pins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default door pins?

Recently on my drivers side door from the inside, when you pull the handle, it doesnt make that click that it used to, and you have to push the door harder for it to open. Also when closing it or opening it, you can hear something rubbing. Would this be a sign of the door pins/pushings going bad? Does this cause the door to sag? Because I havent necassarily noticed too much up and down play on the door.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like the door hinge pins and bushings are worn out. Most auto parts stores carry the parts in stock, you'll need two of these kits: Dorman Help! 38419 - Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts Simple job and can be done in under an hour.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Starting Member

2 kits per door? sounds good. Might as well do the driver side door while im at it. Thanks for the responce and link!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, replace both pins and all four bushings. Have you done this job before? It can be as hard or as easy as you make it. There's a very simple way for one person to do the job, without scratching the door or the fender!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Starting Member

No I havent. I plan on doing it in my autoshop class, so ill have my teacher help me with the first one.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM

There are several threads here on the forum about replacing door hinge pins and bushings. This method makes it possible for one person to accomplish it in under an hour, without doing a balancing act on a rolling floor jack, or scratching the door and fender in the process! There are two very inexpensive tools that make this a real easy one man job. The first one you may already have, a 2" wide ratchet strap like this:

The second is a GM door spring tool, it looks like this and Harbor Freight has them for under $10

Open the door, disconnect the wiring harness connector that goes into the door. The connector is just above the kick panel. Feed the harness, the connector, and the rubber grommet out of and clear of the body. Toss one end of the ratchet strap over a joist in the ceiling, keeping it directly over the door frame. Roll the window down and feed the strap through the window opening. Connect the hooks together on the ratchet straps so you have a loop over the joist and through the window opening. Tighten the ratchet enough to remove the weight of the door from the vehicle. You'll need to find the balance point for the door by moving the strap a bit during the process. Remove the spring. Remove the hinge pins. Remove the door and let it hang by the ratchet strap. Remove the old bushings, clean up the hinge frames and put a gob of grease on each of the new bushings to hold them in the hinge frames while you install the door and new hinge pins. The trick is finding the balance point. Once you have it, you can move the door into position with one hand and put the hinge pins in with the other. Nothin' to it.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

Yup, I have ratchet straps. Thanks alot for the writeup! Itll make it much easier.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Starting Member

im doing the bottom pin and bushings, the bottom bushing to the bottom pin goes in under and you hit it up right? I broke the first bushing trying to hit it in so i had to buy another kit

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM

I'd have to look, but that sounds right. Really ought to do all 4 bushings and both pins though. Clean out the hinge holes, the bushings push in kinda hard, but you should be able to do it by hand.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a garage I looked for a stud on the ceiling, put a hook in it. Lowered the window, put some cloth around the top of the door, put a rope from the hook to the upper door where the cloth is, use the tool for the spring, knock out the pins and bushings and put the new ones in. The longest part was finding the stud and putting in the hook the rest was a piece of cake. Oh and of course align the vechile door with the hook.

Quick Reply: door pins?