2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Doors Automatically lock after delay

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Beginning Member
leroysfishingteam is on a distinguished road
Default Doors Automatically lock after delay

2001 Blazer.

So yes I know... The search function exists. but when one types in "doors, lock, auto, delay, etc... the results are not what I need.

Tonight I was testing my alternator, which will be warrantied in the morning. AGAIN. I cannot recommend the "tough one" brand as this will be my third in as many weeks. The clerk at the local store says they are triple tested at the factory. To which I replied "the test is too easy".

I cleaned up all the connections to make sure the excessive ripple and voltage loss under load was not due to poor connections. While doing this I completely removed the battery for better access to the cables. When I reinstalled, I heard the doors lock. And of course my keys were in the ignition. And the windows were up.

No big deal for anyone with a professional lock-out kit twenty feet away.

But now it seems that the doors lock after I shut off the engine every time. And it happens after a delay. If I were to guess, I would say about twenty seconds or so. It happens whether the keys are in the ignition and my butt is in the seat, or if I exit the vehicle.

I tried the multi-switch/run to off x2 programming for the auto-locking feature when put into gear just to see if that was correlated and somehow malfunctioning. It seems to be fine.

Is there another security related programming that i am missing? Or am I looking at finding a bad ground. Which from my experience, is responsible for nearly every case of electrical voodoo i have ever encountered.

The security light is not acting up. There is however a red light that blinks more rapidly than I remember located to the left of the steering column. I have no idea if that is factory or not.

It is only a matter of time before I get angry at having to go underneath the Blazer to break the zipties that hold my spare key. It will of course happen when I take lovey out for date night and am parked in a slushbank.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There is some sort of aftermarket alarm/security/remote start that is causing the doors to automatically lock. When you disconnected the battery, more than likely it reset to a default setting that locks the doors. Aftermarket systems are famous for failures due to the cheap quality parts, or a poor installation job, or both. My advice is totally remove it. The factory security system and keyless entry systems were designed to protect the vehicle.