2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The dreaded P0300 CAUTION LONG POST

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The dreaded PO300 CAUTION LONG POST AND GETTIN LONGER

Hope that it is finally fixed for you gator!!! If anything else happens let us know, cause then we go to war again. LOL [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Tim! I hope this is it!! If it is, it just goes to show you that something as simple as that can cause a world of hurt!!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

SO

Your saying it was in your spark circuit.

Yes, you MUST have dialectric grease between the Ignition Control Modual and the bracket. The bracket acts as a heat sink. As you pointed out, it gets hot there. The grease helps sheild the heat from the IGM. When the modual gets hot, it typically shuts down. The common symptom is a no start when hot condition. Eventually leading to a no start condition if let go.

Glad you found the problem. Sure feesl good doesn't it.[8D]

Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM
ddolbin@sbcglobal.ne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The dreaded PO300 CAUTION LONG POSTas123

have you thought about your cam position sensor?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the cam position sensor and the effect was minimal, if it made any difference it's so small that it's negligible.

I suppose I should update the situation as of today. It's been about a week,........and so far the PO300 hasn't reared it's ugly head. (no SES light, or DTC)[sm=happy046.gif]
Fuel mileage has improved slightly,(up approx 1-1.5mpg) so at least I'm headed in the right direction. It's running better than it has in a very long time, which is a plus. I'm SO close, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.( and it's not a freight train comming toward me[sm=wootwoot.gif])
I still have a slight miss, but it is nowhere as bad as it was before, ( hasn't tripped a DTC ) So I am comming to the conclusion that this whole issue is the result of not just one thing, but many little things adding up.
I found a TSB (03-06-04-041A, clogged distributor vent screens) that I should have performed when I was changing the cam position sensor and had the distributor pulled out [sm=headbang.gif]. Will it help,.... I doubt it, but it's easy enough to do, won't take long, and is one of those things that "couldn't hurt".
I did connect a vacuum gauge to the intake and observed a slight fluctuation (1-1.5 in) at the rpm where the miss is most prominate (19-2100 rpm) but so far have not located a leak. Other than that the gauge is steady as a rock, and shows 20in at idle.
So that's where I'm at. I'll keep you posted,....but as always thanks for the continued support and ideas it really helps.

Thank You All,

Gator

Old 11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

"have you thought about your cam position sensor?"
'
Where is this sensor thing hiding?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Starting Member

Wayne,

The cam position sensor (distributor pick up) is located under the distributor cap and rotor. It's what the wires are connected to inside the distributor. It's one one the (few) parts that I "threw" at the problem.

Thanks,

Gator

Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent Blazeofglory!
Maybe for giggles i too will 'throw' one in for good measure.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Starting Member

Wayne,
Are you still fighting the misfire issue you had awhile back?
A nickels worth of free advise,.... The sensor is a hall effect type, it either works or it doesn't. But just for gigglesyou might try cleaning and/or removing the vent screens inside the disributor first.It won't cost you any $$$ and you only have to remove the cap and rotor to access them (there are 2) There is a TSB in effect for it (# 03-06-04-041A) so it's something worth trying .It's like a 5 minute deal. Give it a shot.

Gator

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
havrelm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend had a similar issue around 50-55 under slight accelleration he would get misfires like you described. Turns out the wiring for the Air Intake Tempe Sensor was bad and needed an overlay, problem solved, runs great now.

Something to consider, all you really need is new wire and maybe a new connector if you can't replace the pins too. Should be able to get some wire with the pins already attached from the dealership.

Quick Reply: The dreaded P0300 CAUTION LONG POST