2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dredded p0305 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Mltoys is on a distinguished road

When i was under it looking at the trailer wiring i think i saw some sort of ground strap dangling, possibility ?
Btw its a 4 door.
I will test tomorrow and let you know.

Still not bad for $500

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Good job! P0446 is an electrical problem for the EVAP vent valve. Possibly an open circuit in the valve itself, or the two wires that go to it. The valve is mounted to the frame crossmember, just aft of the rear axle. On a 4 door, you need to drop the spare tire. On a 2 door you can get right at it. Disconnect the electrical connector from the valve and check resistance with a DVOM between the two terminals on the valve. If it shows an open circuit, it needs replacement. Most auto parts stores either have it, or can get it.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Ground strap might go to the fuel filler neck. Pretty common for them to rust out and fall off. The crossmember is almost directly above the rear axle, and the solenoid is in the center of the vehicle.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
pjf1313 is on a distinguished road

Hey M.L.,

Where are you? (Sorry for the hijack)

I'm out East of 112, on 27, off Station Rd., S-shore. If ya local, I maybe a 3rd hand if needed..

... and now back to our regular broadcast....

P.J.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 AM

Good job! P0446 is an electrical problem for the EVAP vent valve. Possibly an open circuit in the valve itself, or the two wires that go to it. The valve is mounted to the frame crossmember, just aft of the rear axle. On a 4 door, you need to drop the spare tire. On a 2 door you can get right at it. Disconnect the electrical connector from the valve and check resistance with a DVOM between the two terminals on the valve. If it shows an open circuit, it needs replacement. Most auto parts stores either have it, or can get it.
thanks, todays mission

Ground strap might go to the fuel filler neck. Pretty common for them to rust out and fall off. The crossmember is almost directly above the rear axle, and the solenoid is in the center of the vehicle.
ok so kinda importnt to hook back up. Thanks for pointing me in the right area to loox.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 AM

Ronkonkoma

Originally Posted by pjf1313
Hey M.L.,

Where are you? (Sorry for the hijack)

I'm out East of 112, on 27, off Station Rd., S-shore. If ya local, I maybe a 3rd hand if needed..

... and now back to our regular broadcast....

P.J.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM

Want to give a big thank you for all the help i got with my problems.
I now have the misfire gone and running smooth like i stated a few posts back.
The P0446 is taken care of thanks to Captains advice. I took off the evap valve tested it
and was good, gave it a little shake since this car sat for 2 years and stuff sticks.
Then cleaned the connector and contacts, put back together and no more code.

Thank you so much i highly appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:49 AM
BIGLER is on a distinguished road
Default Cap't Hook... ditto....

('97 LS baby Blazer, 4.3, 4wd, etc... 240K miles, original in family purchased... so known miles)

I don't have codes handy... but I'll get them Monday so we have more info. In the interim... been trowing money at the fire but not killing it.
Catching up... misfire hiccups... ranch... assumes mice chewed wires... (btw "nope" to all assumptions to follow, "yep" to all problems and symptoms unchanged)

So typical misfires, tach flutter, engine light... and flashing, etc... runs great at 85+... hates legal speeds and 2200-3000 rpm

New plugs and wires
Fuel pump in tanks failed... $$$$ ouch...
new cap and rotor (don't know if it was AC Delco or cheapo)
New MP improved version spider
New cam sensor

Next mechanic suggestion valve 5 blown and rebuild time... he must have a house payment due.

So that is where I am at the moment. And I have a torn thumb tendon and a new back and a new neck... so sadly I'm paying others to do most of the crap I should do... but can't.
More to come... Thanks!
-Big

Old 03-31-2019, 06:46 AM

As you read I wen through everything. The misfire returned at random after this thread. Also due to health issuees i was not able to change spider. Weekly I would put quality injector cleaner in and have had no misfire for many months.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:59 PM
BIGLER is on a distinguished road

It cannot be a coincidence that everyone gets the same issue... yet there is never a single answer. There is a clear design flaw that is being missed.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Well... I'll pray for him... 2016... but then again, I've been proven wrong about a thread being old. But that was only 5 months...