2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driveability issue: Surges at lights when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:47 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

I went looking at it this morning, and I *may* have seen a drop of coolant from the heater hose line that perhaps is exactly above the point on the distributor cap where the coil plugs in....

Starts, I hear backfiring sometimes and there is a *pop* of air ? if i remove the brake booster line, in its present state..

To see if i can get my MAF to work before i go replacing it.. on top of these vacuum. Issues...

Old 04-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Hey, all.

Short version: I think I fixed it, OR got it MUCH improved. When the "surging at lights" is ALL the way solved and not just greatly reduced, I am happy...

Short version: I literally screwed with the screw. Backing it out yielded lower idle.....

Went from. Code P0101, P0102, P0108 (with it all plugged in)
To. Idling smooth and no codes
To. Almost got the surging at idle to stop...

Tom A, I do still hear some kind of air noise, but I see how that bolts acts more now. I'm still missing the bracket. The aftermarket units are on the way.

swartlkk, I apologize for angering you.

So. It is almost there. And only an air filter was replaced. And I will soon have my choice of them....

Old 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM

This is how it sounds today. And all I bought.. was an air filter. Next up: a "hat". Thank you, all.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 PM

Getting the screw in "properly" sure seems to have helped.

Now, once the non-leaking hat comes.

To those that called it, it is almost here...

Old 04-10-2020, 08:29 AM

To all those following, the driveability issue. It is a LOT better now.

I think the leaking vacuum when I depress the brakes is now the cause of the vacuum leak for the "surge" at a light... Here are two videos showing this: (*the other thread is now addressing if the hats lose their orange seal over time.)

There is sometimes a delay in throttle response when leaving a light in its present condition, but, I imagine that could again, be.. Vacuum. I can see how obvious that is now.

Going to get these things looked at/looked at with. It is happening.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Brake Booster? Not unheard of for those to leak but that sounds like a pretty major one, checked the seals on both ends of the brake booster vac hose hookup? on my truck - a 1999 the seal to the brake booster itself was dry rotted to high hell, if yours is too its about a 6 dollar cheap insurance type repair and i can dig up the P/N in a little bit.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

+1 on the brake booster

Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 PM

I have heard one "mechanic" say Brake booster; one say it is the hose causing the vacuum leak (to brake booster.) The leak does sound like it is from inside the cabin..

I would LOVE the part number, that is going to get done this week. And if it is that inexpensive...

Had a heater hose start leaking on me too, the one right above the distributor.

We are getting very, very close to a fixed truck.

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 04-11-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mods
Brake Booster? Not unheard of for those to leak but that sounds like a pretty major one, checked the seals on both ends of the brake booster vac hose hookup? on my truck - a 1999 the seal to the brake booster itself was dry rotted to high hell, if yours is too its about a 6 dollar cheap insurance type repair and i can dig up the P/N in a little bit.
I will order the part ASAP if I know the P/N!

I can't see up there that well, but the gas guy did say "it sounds like a simple vacuum leak coming from inside the cabin" (under the dash.) Probably is rotted out entirely, hopefully just a hose... Gonna get that ASAP.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:16 PM

A little update here.. new brake booster on it and also finally found a hat with a CLAMP on the front and an in tact rear circle.. also, got the screws right.. and it appears to not surge anymore. I have to get used to it functioning normally again.

A long and dramatic road to get here, but, it LOOKS like it is licked. (Problem solved.)

Never had an engine where the intake was this integral to engine operation. I'll never touch that part again, if I can help it...

Quick Reply: Driveability issue: Surges at lights when in gear