2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver door wont close!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 AM
Beginning Member
Fatguy9 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Driver door wont close!

I have a 2000 blazer and I recently got out and when i went to shut the door it would not stay closed, the latch inside does not click at all in any position no matter how the handle is or anything. The latch just freely swings open and closed. I sprayed wd-40 and tried to see if i could get anything to happen by messing with it and the door handle but nothing.... Any one have a clue on what i need to do or replace?

I dont think this makes a difference but a hour or two before, my key fob stopped working so i tried to reprogram it because the battery is brand new and maybe that had something to do? I have no idea..... any help would be appreciated

Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you may need to take the door apart and look in side. If I am reading this correctly it sounds like your latch mechanism is broken.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
It sounds like you may need to take the door apart and look in side. If I am reading this correctly it sounds like your latch mechanism is broken.
Thats what i was thinking, so would i have to replace the whole latch mechanism in the door?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fatguy9
Thats what i was thinking, so would i have to replace the whole latch mechanism in the door?
Yup, you will need to replace the whole thing. Best bet would be to get one from a u-pull yard unless you want to pay over 80$ for a new one.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
Yup, you will need to replace the whole thing. Best bet would be to get one from a u-pull yard unless you want to pay over 80$ for a new one.
would you happen to know the part number or anything? I cant seem to find it anywhere... Also i took out the assembly and the number on it is 1637559 and the spring that makes the latch stay in the opened position just snapped... As for junk yards i cant really find any where im at (guam) and the only auto part store here is napa and they said they didnt have anything to do with that part

Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 AM

You could try ebay. I have bought several parts from junkyards that sell on ebay.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 AM
Beginning Member

You could try ebay. I have bought several parts from junkyards that sell on ebay.
Yea i had to order one off ebay and the only one for sale that would ship here was brand new so my wallet hurts but i guess i have no choice, The junk yard here tried to sell me a S10 with manual doors rusty latch for $100

Old 08-23-2015, 08:40 AM

$100 from a junk yard is insane. How much was the new one?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

$100 from a junk yard is insane. How much was the new one?
it was 155 for the new one and yea that junk yard really sucked

Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Starting Member
jayjay420691 is on a distinguished road
Default im having the same issue

Originally Posted by Fatguy9
would you happen to know the part number or anything? I cant seem to find it anywhere... Also i took out the assembly and the number on it is 1637559 and the spring that makes the latch stay in the opened position just snapped... As for junk yards i cant really find any where im at (guam) and the only auto part store here is napa and they said they didnt have anything to do with that part
Did u happen to find the part number or correct name?

Quick Reply: Driver door wont close!