2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ECM Issues??? HELP ME!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

At the ECM: connector "C", pin #14 is the grey wire. Goes to TPS and MAP sensor.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
spittybays
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Thank you Captain Hook. I checked the continuity and the wire is good from the ecm C connector to the tps connector. This must mean the ecm is not putting out 5v on that pin? I cleaned the contacts and will plug it back in to see if it was just a bad connection, but, is there any other pin with 5 vref on the ecm that I could run a wire from to get it to the tps and map?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

These two sensors not working can make the car virtually undriveable?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Without those 2 sensors, it will run poorly. There are no other Vref pins on your 1991 ECM. The TPS and the MAP are the only things that use Vref.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member

I really appreciate your help. I've been mulling thru all the posts here and elsewhere for days now trying to find a work around. I guess I have to buy a used computer to replace this one?

I don't know, it bucks and sputters, and chokes as I try to drive. With what it's doing I can't drive it....it won't go up my driveway hill to get to the street. At idle it's calm, then on it's own it revs up and there's all kinds of gas shooting from the injectors...then it calms down, almost dies, catches itself....and does it all again.

Anyone every put a 6v battery on the tps and map to get them to at least work? I'm desperate to get to work tonight without calling a taxi.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

I really appreciate finally having some answers. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Make sure all of the fuses are good, check both terminals with a test light or volt meter. If the grey wire does not show ~5VDC with the ignition in the RUN position, replace the ECM.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Beginning Member

I see ecm's online for $25-$125 used. Do you have a favorite site to get ecm's online?

I live in the Virgin Islands, though beautiful and a good life, it takes awhile to get stuff here. I need a temp fix. Does anyone know of anything that will provide 5v from a 12v battery? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you Captain Hook. By "both terminals" you mean on the fuse?

Quick Reply: ECM Issues??? HELP ME!!!!!