2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ECT sensor on 99

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ECT sensor on 99

Howdy. I'm led to believe that my problem with cold starting could likely be my ect sensor but i'm having trouble finding it. The haynes books says front of the intake and i searched on this forum and found 'top of the engine near the water hose'. I can't find it on the truck. I have a/c... is it under/behind that? What is the water hose being referred to...the one off the water pump? If anyone can show a pic or something that would be so amazing. This is just killing me taking 8-10 tries to get the truck to fire this morning now that it's officially winter here. I know i can change it if i find it so i dont' want to pay someone 90$ and hour labour

thanks!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ECT sensor on 99

The ECT is located on the side of the driver cylinder head. It will have a two wire electrical connection and will be located between the #3 & #5 cylinder exhaust ports While many references show an additional gauge sensor, I have never found it...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The ECT is located on the side of the driver cylinder head. It will have a two wire electrical connection and will be located between the #3 & #5 cylinder exhaust ports While many references show an additional gauge sensor, I have never found it...
I thought that was the coolant temperature sensor for the guage alone?

The guy in the part store told me it was on the top of the motor at the front and then rriddle says the same here...and the guy he was talking to apparently found it. https://blazerforum.com/m_9536/tm.htm
First, check the electrical connection to the ECT which is on the top of the engine right in front of where the water outlet tube bolts on.
What might he be talking about? Isthere another one?

EDIT: Just called the dealer. Service manager there said there are definitely two and the ect is in the intake, suggested i needed to remove the piping to the throttle body to find it? I do see a loomed set of wires go under there which i can't see the target for...

Old 10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

See, on the older CPI motors (pre-95) and I think up to 1997 SCFI motors, there were two different sensors. When I had my old 2k Bravada, I searched all over that intake manifold and never did find a second sensor. The 98 thru mid-02 were different than the 96-97. The old two sensor setups had the ECT sensor at or near the thermostat housing and most had a single wire gauge sensor in the side of the driver cylinder head.

I did just look at the D-Tips article and one picture seems to show something located to the left of the EGR valve between the EGR valve and the thermostat housing. This area on my 2000 Bravada was blank, no machining, nothing there. But have a look there. I still believe that the ECT sensor on the 98+ SCFI motors is on the driver cylinder head.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Starting Member

See, on the older CPI motors (pre-95) and I think up to 1997 SCFI motors, there were two different sensors. When I had my old 2k Bravada, I searched all over that intake manifold and never did find a second sensor. The 98 thru mid-02 were different than the 96-97. The old two sensor setups had the ECT sensor at or near the thermostat housing and most had a single wire gauge sensor in the side of the driver cylinder head.

I did just look at the D-Tips article and one picture seems to show something located to the left of the EGR valve between the EGR valve and the thermostat housing. This area on my 2000 Bravada was blank, no machining, nothing there. But have a look there. I still believe that the ECT sensor on the 98+ SCFI motors is on the driver cylinder head.
Thanks Kyle. It's very hard not to just take your word period. I appreciate your honesty in suggesting the possibility there is another spot. Sounds like i'll have to remove the intake piping to the throttle body to really see where you're referring to. That would be the spot the dealer guy pointed at as well.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

You should not need to remove the intake piping. The EGR valve is on the front of the motor above the water pump. There will be two heater core hoses right there as well. Pull down on the upper heater core hose and have a look right there.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Starting Member

You should not need to remove the intake piping. The EGR valve is on the front of the motor above the water pump. There will be two heater core hoses right there as well. Pull down on the upper heater core hose and have a look right there.
You're right, i was thinking pcv.. thanks. I'll have another look. I didn't see anything in that area last night but i'll have a closer look.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Smoked

It's very hard not to just take your word period.
I am always open to learning more about things and welcome when someone challenges what I say. We are all here to learn and help. My assumptions, having not owned all of these years or paid particular attention to this area while working on all of these years (which I have mostly done) are based on my knowledge of the changes in the control systems, etc through the years (much more detailed for the 2nd gens than the 1st gens).

Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Smoked

It's very hard not to just take your word period.
I am always open to learning more about things and welcome when someone challenges what I say. We are all here to learn and help. My assumptions, having not owned all of these years or paid particular attention to this area while working on all of these years (which I have mostly done) are based on my knowledge of the changes in the control systems, etc through the years (much more detailed for the 2nd gens than the 1st gens).
Well i really hope there is a second sensor because it does seem to fit with my cold starting issue, but my temp guage is reading fine so if there's only the one sensor i have a feeling it's not my problem.

It was -1 today and it took 10 times to fire. But when if i were to go out to the parking lot now it would fire up right away!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Did you get a chance to look at that location yet?

Quick Reply: ECT sensor on 99