2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EGR block off

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
FreshDA9 is on a distinguished road
Default EGR block off

well i have been looking around for parts for my blazer. cant afford the intake manifold i want right now. But i want to delete this stupid EGR.

So i found the plate.
http://www.sytyperformance.com/index...mart&Itemid=26

the question what size fittings do i buy to block off the intake manifold port and the exhaust manifold port? any help is appreciated. and yes i know it will throw a cell until i delete it in HP tuners.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you understood what the system does and the potential problems defeating it can cause, you wouldn't even bother.

You better be willing to do a lot more than delete the code.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

um where is this information about problems deleting the egr on our blazers?

all it does is recirculate exhaust gas for emissions. and it looks like its past the Maf so i dont see much problems. but if there is as you say please enlighten me.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It controls the formation of NOx by cooling the cylinder temperatures. In a modern engine designed with the EGR system, you can have problems with the exhaust valves unless you find another way to keep cylinder temperatures down. Over fueling is one way, but that has its own issues ($$).

What exactly are you hoping to gain by removing the system?

And just an FYI, someone as resourceful as yourself could easily search the forum or Google (yeah i know, google...) and found the same information.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Beginning Member

sorry but i looked in the DIY section in this forum and found nothing so i decided to post.

So what your saying is that EGT's will increase and possibly melt an exhaust valve. and using fuel (or over fueling as you say) to cool isnt sufficient enough at stoich or any input i make threw Hp tuners during dyno pulls?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator

You will have to run it on the rich side if you want to which unless you are making some other serious modifications, you will be hurting things more than helping.

Again, what is it that you are hoping to gain by removing the system?

As far as searching goes... Get creative with your search terms and don't be afraid to use outside search engines. The information is out there. If you are relying on a post jumping out and slapping you in the face, you'll never find anything.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member

im hoping to gain cooler intake temps also not be recirculating hot air back into the intake manifold. witch in turn should be more reliable and a few more ponys but nothing outrages. i already have heads off getting ready to put it back together after doing head gaskets etc.

I also plan on doing MPI intake manifold (witch does not have an EGR as well) 30LB injectors and SyTy turbo conversion. while i have it apart at the moment im already thinking about buy a cam and lifters from race proven motors and doing the MPI manifold swap later as well with the turbo.

again i tried your search for EGR and google search and am not seeing anything about 4.3L exhaust problems. sorry if i sound like a dick but i wouldnt have made this post if i couldnt find the information in the first place. if im over looking it sorry please direct me.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Don't restrict yourself to this specific engine. Removing the EGR valve has the same effect on most any engine unless steps are taken to reduce cylinder temperatures. I know the information is out there because I once found it. I can't devote the time to looking it back up for you now since there are many other people that need to be responded to.

I have seen the damage that can result after 20-30k miles of EGR-less operation which lead me to the information I am reiterating to you. Some people don't 'notice' a problem, but the potential is there and the damage is incremental. My responses are based on the fact that most people just want to remove it and that's it. That is when the potential increases.

If you are going to be swapping the cam, modifying the overlap will allow for a cooler operating exhaust valve.

If the heads are off, get in there and do some port and bowl work!

As far as how to block off the other ports, you'll likely have to fab something up.