2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
MiniWall9 is on a distinguished road
Default Emissions.

So I bought my 1995 blazer in August. In October I needed to go take emissions. Well it looked like everything was going well, and then it fails. I get the paper back and this is what it says

Sorry, if that didn't show up then I'll write it all out. But anyways, I had my uncle check it out and he leaned toward it being the catalytic converter, but he wanted to check and make sure. Then my OBD port isn't working, so that's another thing I need to fix. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what it'd be by what they gave me.

I seen some videos and read some stuff about removing it and cleaning it. That it's way cheaper and is better to do than replace it. Sorry about this being long and random, but I really want to fix my truck. My dad tells me to sell it, but I'm not going to.

Attached Thumbnails Emissions.-image_zpsfedeb4c9.jpg   Emissions.-image_zpsa6d7162b.jpg  

Last edited by MiniWall9; 12-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

didnt fail by much, cant say what to do though

Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

NOX and CO are both within range which means, (respectively) the EGR valve and converter are both doing their job. HC is high which means the engine is running rich, (too much fuel or not enough air going into the engine). Not enough air is simple, check the air filter for restriction. Too much fuel is a little more complicated and will require some testing to figure out what the problem is. We really need to know what DTC's, (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are in memory, causing the check engine light to come on. You mentioned your OBD port is not working, which style port does your vehicle have?

Attached Thumbnails Emissions.-diagconnectors.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

I believe it is the OBDI. Seen a lot of the 95's have that type.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Beginning Member

I don't know it this would help but, putting sea foam to clean the lines help it also?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Listen to the captain, very smart with these trucks

Old 12-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1995 was a hodge podge year for Blazer, Jimmy and S/T series pick up trucks. It's also one of the reasons Oldsmobile did not produce the Bravada in 1995 Your 1995 could have either OBD connector due to 3 different systems being used on that year. We need to know for sure which system you have. Save your money on the Seafoam.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Beginning Member

How would I be able to tell which one I have?
& sorry, I only know the basics about cars.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I once had a truck that showed elevated HC levels and it was the catalytic converter like your uncle said.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Beginning Member

Would it be better to clean it, or just replace it?

Quick Reply: Emissions.