2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

en exhaust problem. :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road
Default en exhaust problem. :)

is it common for a blazer to pop an exhaust gasket? or crack a pipe somewhere? im not nice to my truck and now i have this loud roar comming from near my passengers feet area up front.under the hood you can hear its either from the rear most part of the engine (v6) on the passengers side, derp. i have no idea where the leak is tho and its making my truck sound like ***.

anyone else have this problem or know an easy way to just see the leak or find it easier?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

Turn it on, crawl up underneath it (keep away from hot or moving parts) and locate the noise/leak. Heck the cat could have a whole in it, who knows without looking lol

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Starting Member

ive looked, with the car on the hoist, and its either the exhaust gasket or a leak in a pipe. lol

Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Seafoam? if your engine bay gets smoked out then you will know lol

and you would be able to see where the leak is at with that method to.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Time for a new exhaust system =) Joking haha can it be leaking from the cat where it bolts too ?

Prob one of the manifolds cracked Lets hope not tho

Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
Seafoam? if your engine bay gets smoked out then you will know lol

and you would be able to see where the leak is at with that method to.
X2 on that.
Spray/pour Seafoam into the vaccuum booster for the brakes while it's on a hoist & see where the white smoke comes from!
OR a safer way (yes I'm co-chair of safety at work) Seafoam it & shut it off like the directions say, then lift it up on a hoist & have someone start it. Look for the white smoke.

Seafoam.mp4 - YouTube <--- trust me, there's lots!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:37 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a like situation. I have a 2000 LT 4x4 4.3, 100,000.500k miles and it sounds a little loud at idle and gets way louder when I hit 80mph on the highway, plus I was getting this grease like junk in my garage from underneath the blazer. And its a bear to get off. So I went looking and since I have no hoist I had to crawl under the blazer while running (Get pretty hot under there). Anyhow I found a pin hole on the bottom of my muffer (Orginal muffer) but the blazer has spent 95% of its life in AZ so no rust what so ever. I'm not throwing any codes at all. I do believe this started after I ran a can of seafoam thru the engine and its all the crap coming out and (yrs ago I added the seafoam). I do know that most all muffers do have a pin hole in them to relieve the mositure and it is located up on the back of the muffer. I am holding out until the cat goes to replace everything (No smog check here).

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member

yeah i think im gonna put a magnaflow muffler and a straight pipe on mine.

in regards to exhaust, does a 4.3 backfire when the pipe is wide open? should i also go with a cat, or a resonator?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
yeah i think im gonna put a magnaflow muffler and a straight pipe on mine.

in regards to exhaust, does a 4.3 backfire when the pipe is wide open? should i also go with a cat, or a resonator?
when the pipe is wide open? do you mean with no muffler? no it wont backfire but it will sound like crap and will loose a little power. if thats what you are talking about.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Starting Member

how does it lose power from an open exhaust?

Quick Reply: en exhaust problem. :)