2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road
Default Engine fan

Quick question
So I just replaced my water pump so I did the fan clutch too because it's recommended. Today I was at a stop light on my way home from work and I heard the roar of the fan as it engages. Can't mistake that sound. I never heard it before when I'm driving at all, I've only heard it when I first start my blazer in the morning, cold. Temp was a bit below 210. Is this normal? I've never heard it before taking off from a stop light.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Alright guys, I figured out why. For some reason, autozone has two different models of water pump kits which include the fan clutch. I was sold the one that is the "heavy duty" model (MCK1001) which means it includes the heavy duty fan clutch. Another one is the MCK1002 which is a standard model. This is misleading because the notes just say "without heavy duty heater" for the heavy duty model and "with heavy duty heater" for the standard model. The guy at autozone had no brains and just said "well you probably don't have the heavy duty heater." No one knows what the hell a heavy duty heater is! Isn't this kind of misleading? So now I have a fan clutch that roars essentially all the time. It's loud and I can feel it dragging my engine a bit. Be warned.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Problem solved. Just pulls a 94 intrepid dual fan.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Groundunit
Problem solved. Just pulls a 94 intrepid dual fan.
You installed a Dodge intrepid duel fan? How was the fitment and how did you do the wiring? I am guessing you removed the mechanical fan entirely?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You installed a Dodge intrepid duel fan? How was the fitment and how did you do the wiring? I am guessing you removed the mechanical fan entirely?
I'm sorry, I should have added more detail. I didn't install it yet, but I went to the junkyard and pulled one. I thought either way I'm going to be spending money on fixing this problem so why not replace it with an electric fan set? It's basically the same price and finding just the standard replacement for a fan clutch isn't that easy- or maybe I just don't want to. Once you can wrap your head around what is needed it's really simple to swap these parts out. From what I understand the basic setup involves running a relay from a fused connection with your battery and a switchable circuit like your ignition. Then from there you have a thermostat switch that kicks on after a certain temperature. That's for only one of the fans. I guess you could hookup both like that though. This is just from what I've read and isn't from experience so it's only just a basic understanding. These links helped me understand how to wire these up:

How To Properly Install An Electric Fan -although it's for an rx-7 the same basic principle is universal.

-this was posted somewhere on an electric fan thread here. Basically showing you how a relay works and how to wire them.

OE Electric Coolant Fan Discovered - Chevelle Tech -apparently these are the specs

You can either keep your fan shroud and just trim it or you can get rid of it all together. It has a fan shroud so it will be pulling through the radiator as long as it's tight against.

I hope this helps. Don't take my word for it and go off and do it exactly as I say. Do a lot of research, an electrical fire is nothing to **** with. Like I said, I'm still figuring it out too, but I thought I might share what I've found.

On another note, I thought that I'd have to buy some expensive fan controller, but really you only need the fans, fuses, relays, thermostatic switch, wires, and a power source.

Any correction or further information is definitely appreciated.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links and additional info.

If you are wanting just to get your truck back on the road, I am sure you'd be fine with your old fan clutch. I can honestly say I've never heard of the water pump coming with a clutch until now.

The HD clutch robbing engine power would be annoying. I had the same issue with my Jeep on a clutch that wouldn't disengage. I was getting tired of my e fan dying in heavy traffic so I went mechanical.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Thanks for the links and additional info.

If you are wanting just to get your truck back on the road, I am sure you'd be fine with your old fan clutch. I can honestly say I've never heard of the water pump coming with a clutch until now.

The HD clutch robbing engine power would be annoying. I had the same issue with my Jeep on a clutch that wouldn't disengage. I was getting tired of my e fan dying in heavy traffic so I went mechanical.
It's on the road with the HD fan clutch, but driving through city traffic it's almost always engaged unless I'm cruising for a bit. I really don't want to put that old one back on there lmao. This this is from Indiana and I've driven it hard... first thing I did when I removed the water pump is clean all the old mud off of it. Basically though this is giving me an excuse to do the electric fans also haha so when I explain to my girlfriend why I just got a set of electric fans it's pretty plausible.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

When I install dual electric fans on my jimmy I plan to wire one of them into the A/C system to remove the heat from the condenser. Dual fan F-bodies are set up like that. I'm making my own shroud so I can use them. Just can't put a dodge or ford part on my GMC.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Yes but the shroud fits like it was made for it

Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Hey, a part is a part. It's a trophy from a dead enemy!

Quick Reply: Engine fan