2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine Running lean but have power

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by onder
if you dont hear anything from fuel pump i wouldnt suspect it. replacing the fuel pressure regulator is easy and cheaper. try to replace that first and see what happens. if you need help let me know i have done it and im not a mechanic at all i just started to learn and i did it.
you know what thanks for all your help, but ima bite the bullet and take it to a shop to have it diagnosed. i found 1 that is AAA certified, so ill have to trust them being i have insurance and road side assistance with AAA, i will post the outcome

Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Starting Member
onder is on a distinguished road

unfortunately I didnt take any pictures. when you take the fpr out tap on it and see if it leaks any gas if it does then it is a faulty fpr. the other thing is when you put the fuel pressure test on the test valve, was there any fuel coming out. because i did the test like 4 or 5 times and there was no fuel coming out of there but when i did it after i replace the fuel pump twice there was fuel spraying out of there. let us know what happens tomorrow and if you buy your parts online from advanceauto i have a coupon code P20 its 20% off its not a big saving but i hope it helps it

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by onder
unfortunately I didnt take any pictures. when you take the fpr out tap on it and see if it leaks any gas if it does then it is a faulty fpr. the other thing is when you put the fuel pressure test on the test valve, was there any fuel coming out. because i did the test like 4 or 5 times and there was no fuel coming out of there but when i did it after i replace the fuel pump twice there was fuel spraying out of there. let us know what happens tomorrow and if you buy your parts online from advanceauto i have a coupon code P20 its 20% off its not a big saving but i hope it helps it

i remember on my sonoma it sprayed a nice mist but when i put the gauge on it it kinda just leaked out, maybe 4 drips. ill tell you guys the outcome and thanks again onder for all your help

Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM

ok well i had it diagnosed and they said it was a dirty maf and 1 vacuum line i missed that was hella cracked. funny thing is i cleaned the maf, but didnt take it out of the housing just spreyed through the mesh and back side. well had power after leaving the shop but now its back to hesitation and crappy mpg, so im just guna go with geting a new FPR and a new AC DELCO fuel pump. funny thing is ill be sitting at a light and the fuel gauge is jumpy as hell, now if i throw it into N and slow down slightly it goes from half a tank to 1/4. so i think the sender is going and also the fuel pump might be old being its giving crappy pressure on the video. $105 down the drain. now ill take it to my buddy and have him put the FPR and fuel pump on, and put a new intake gasket on while im at it. guna clean the EGR valve tomarrow see if its full of carbon. and FYI AAA certified mecs arent that great.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Starting Member
onder is on a distinguished road

I hate taking to mechanic. Mechanic is the very very very last thing on my list. I got burned really bad from them. About the maf and egr, i forgot to mention those when I had this problem those were the first thing i did. i cleaned them and the truck was running little better. the last three days i had my old pump, i was at the stop light and i putted in N my fuel gauge went from empty to half tank and i putted in D it went back to empty. it was so bad that i was pedal to the metal and i was doing barely 25 mph and then suddenly it started going like crazy.....by the way where did you buy your fuel pump from? and Good Luck

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM

i actually havnt bought it yet this is the old one still and im goin to buy it from bay being im low on funds and they have a cheap brand new ac delco one for unter $200 with 1 year warrenty. i see these other posts on here about the lean code and cant get up to freeway speed. well i can max out if i want but usually drive 70mph. while im looking at the egr, where would the other vacuum lines be?i changed pcv and the vac line that comes from there to driverside T fitting. 1 hose goes to the fender, but were does the other hose go? looks like it runs down towered the light under the abs. and is there any others i should check? vac gauge reads inbetween red and green. late ignition timing, and normal.