2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine swap or not question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member
jlockEMT35 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine swap or not question

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4.3 4x4 with just over 112k miles on it. I love the truck but its starting to show its age on the interior and due to my own stupidity it looks like I smoked a bearing in the front diff. A guy I work with is looking to get rid of his '99 Chevy Blazer 4.3 4x4 for $500. The Blazer is mint except for a blown engine. My original thought was to buy the blazer steal the front diff and the interior parts ie seats and get my 1996 back up to snuff, but a buddy of mine suggested I just swap my engine out of my 1996 Jimmy and put it in the Blazer. I have access to a engine lift and a good cache of tools along with several people who have alot more mechanical intelligence then I, however they arent Blazer experts like you guys. So my questions are:

1. Will my 1996 GMC Jimmy engine be a direct swap into the 1999 Blazer?

2. Is the 1999 Blazer Front Diff a match for my 1996 Jimmy?

3. If you were given the options what would you do?

I appreciate any and all advice or comments. I clearly have alot to learn about working on my truck but the only way to learn is to research and get my hands dirty

Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would move the motor over. You will need to swap the temp sending unit from the '99 motor into your driver side head since GM changed to a single sending unit for the PCM & cluster in '98. Everything else should be a direct swap over between the two.

If you were to want to do the front axle swap, you have to make sure that the gears match up with your current rear axle.

The dash and extra bits may be the most difficult swap from a '99 to a '96 given the different communication arrangements between modules in the '99 that the '96 just didn't have.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

Administrator is absolutely correct if the receiving vehicle is in better shape than the donor vehicle change the engines. I bought my son a 1997 jimmy and he hit a tree and bent the frame a friend of his had a 2000 jimmy that had a rod sitting on top of the skid plate. I got it for 1000.00 dollars pulled the 97 motor and it was winter time I had the motor in my garage so I rebuilt it over the winter made it look real pretty before it was installed changed the sensor dropped it in and have a very fine vehicle now. I could of made a good profit from this vehicle but my son fell in love with it and guess who is driving it now.

Good luck with the transmission bolts, very difficult I removed the first 4 body bolts and loosened the rest and lifted the body and put a 2x4 in the front and then I had all the room I needed. I also pulled front end apart it makes it so much easier to work on. Some people I have talked to said you can remove the trans and transfer case cross members and drop it down enough to get to the bolts. You have to remove the cross members any way to slide the transmission and transfer case back you need a good jack for this I have a trans jack so it worked out pretty good. GM tells you in their manual to remove the transfer case and the transmission but if you have a good jack just remove the cross members and slide it back. Good luck and if you have any question let me know.

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-15-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not yet replied.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by R134A
Good luck with the transmission bolts, very difficult I removed the first 4 body bolts and loosened the rest and lifted the body and put a 2x4 in the front and then I had all the room I needed. I also pulled front end apart it makes it so much easier to work on. Some people I have talked to said you can remove the trans and transfer case cross members and drop it down enough to get to the bolts. You have to remove the cross members any way to slide the transmission and transfer case back you need a good jack for this I have a trans jack so it worked out pretty good. GM tells you in their manual to remove the transfer case and the transmission but if you have a good jack just remove the cross members and slide it back. Good luck and if you have any question let me know.
Man take the front end off & slide back the trans/transfer case? I have done this about 10 times, Im honestly not sure why you would ever remove, Or do any of that r134a?

Take the 4 bolts off your front axle and let it hang, Drop your y-pipe, Then Just get a Stubby"short" 14mm Gear wrench to remove the bellhousing bolts under the truck, After removing the cap&rotor out of the way take the very top 2 bellhousing bolts out, Using a normal length 14mm gear wrench. Makes life very easy.

The stubby gear wrenches http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9520

Last edited by LowLife; 05-14-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

U guys rock! I really appreciate the advice. So I went to look at the blazer yesterday and it is really mint inside and out. I talked to the owner who said that he was driving it down the highway, it started shaking and losing power so he pulled over, had it towed home and hasn't touched it for 3 years. Doesn't sound like its.definitely a blown motor does it? I'm thinking I may put the front diff in my 96 and try to resurrect the 99. Any suggestions on where to start? I know its a vague description but its all I got... I know I gotta check brake lines and replace brakes and tires etc after sitting so long but she is a nice truck and my 96 is also in great shape, it would give my girlfriend a 4x4 for winter. Any tips, pointers, thought or direction would be great! The 1999 has 113k miles and was reportedly properly maintained with mainly highway miles.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Starting Member

OK LOWLIFE you are lowering the front axle I am raising the body what is the difference Please info the poster that the bell housing bolts hits the fire wall when you are trying to remove them.DO you agree OH that's right you do what I said and remove trans and transfer mounts drop the engine down to get to the bolts.Once you separate the trans from the motor why the hell would you drop your front diff down sounds like way to much extra work. Just because you have done 10 of them which I doubt very much because if you take care of the 4.3L it last forever. You do it your way I do it my way Don't criticize my way to your way.There are different ways of doing things.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys... we don't need to unzip your flys and get out the ruler! I appreciate all your input, and different ways to do things are always good to know because clearly both ways work. Any thoughts on diagnosing this engine? I'm bringing her home on Thursday and can start getting dirty... probably gonna start by draining the fuel and charging up the battery and see if she turns over to get some codes and see what she does if anything... ill keep u posted! Probably should start a new thread tho...

Thanks

Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I said drop the front axle, I meant to say the front driveshaft thats my fault, But as far as the bellhousing bolts hitting off the firewall, Never had that problem, They thread out np for me. Like i said i have done this plenty of times to know it works, Im sorry you dont agree.

Glad to hear there is just something wrong with the truck, Not a blown motor. Sounds like a easy fix, Hopefully it will throw you a code .

Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member

For a $500 truck I just make out pretty damn well

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Starting Member

That is cool Jlock you might have a good truck on your hands.It sounds like you are going about things well. If you can get it to turn over and start you will know weither it is going to need engine work or not but if the body and interior are in good shape you got a good deal already. Even if it does need a motor you could probably find one at a good price and have you a awesome vehicle after you are done.You can not beat those 4.3L vortec motors if they are taken care of they last forever.

Quick Reply: Engine swap or not question