2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Erratic gas gauge - 2000 chevy blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So your tank is full, and you need to drop it? If only there was some kind of pump inside the tank you could use to pump the gas out...

Here's what I do:

Unhook the pressure side of the fuel pump. Attach a 2-3' length of rubber hose to the fuel pump fitting, running the other side to a gas can. Might want to have a few ready, especially if you just filled up all 18 gallons.

Under the hood, on the driver side inner fender, you will see several male-female plug in connectors. There will be one, female, that isn't plugged to anything. This is the "test connector" for the fuel pump. Applying 12V here will allow your fuel pump to run continuously.

You can either just run a long jumper from battery +, or remove the cover immediately above the connector. There is a 12V source under there you can use. You might see a small arc or two when you make the connection, this is just the pump beginning to pull current.

Now, watch your container! It will fill up fast. Keep running the pump until it starts sputtering. That's when the sucker is empty! Makes it so much easier to drop a tank. At 6 lbs to a gallon, even 5 gallons is an extra 30 lbs you have to bench-press back into place when you're done.

Now, this all applies to my '95 4-door. YMMV.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member
MarkyMarc is on a distinguished road

Alright guys, I found my ground wire, unscrewed it and cleaned it nice and good. There was no errosion or crud on there and still does the same thing. Now im thinking its the actual pump itself or at least something wrong with the lever since if rock my car from side to side my gauge goes up and down. Im droping the tank as soon as i get the chance and gonna see if something might be disconected.
Thanks for the help to all!!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The erratic gauge operation is caused by the fuel level sender, (needs replacement). The gauge shouldn't move just by rocking the vehicle. There is a buffer, (shock absorber for electricity) built into the sender which is not working properly either. The buffer slows down the signal to the gauge so you don't see it move when the fuel sloshes in the tank.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Some of the cheap sending units don't seem to have a good "buffer". I got a Delco pump, but a cheap sending unit when I did mine. When I brake, I can go from showing half to empty. Accelerating is the opposite. Will swing half a tank or so towards full. It's accurate when sitting level or maintaining a steady speed, though.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

Ok so i just bought myself a new pump w/ sending unit. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Il be putting it in this weekend or next week sometime when the weather gets a little better. On a side note, i was busy ordering and putting my new CAI in my blazer. Looks and sounds pretty awesome.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I sure hope you got either an AC Delco or a Delphi module assembly. As mentioned, the aftermarket pumps and level senders are junk. Don't waste your time or money on them.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

I like the non buffered aftermarket ones, you can tell how much is really left with them

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
I sure hope you got either an AC Delco or a Delphi module assembly. As mentioned, the aftermarket pumps and level senders are junk. Don't waste your time or money on them.
Fortunatly, I was able to get a Delco fuel pump and will be instaling it once this weather gets a little nicer. I know this might sound like a stupid question but does it really matter which way the fuel pump is facing? Should the lever point towards the lenght or width of the car?