2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap IM

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here is a link to ebay for the genuine GM shop manual, (set of 4, volumes). This is only for S&T body, and only for 2003. 2003 Chevy s 10 S10 Blazer Jimmy Sonoma Service Shop Repair Manual Set New | eBay When the ebay auction is done, the link will no longer work. This is a NEW manual set, used ones are a LOT cheaper. There are knock offs out there so be careful. The genuine set is as pictured in the link.

The EVAP line connector to the purge solenoid is part of the nylon line, (can't get just the clip). The clip slides up, and it does not come all the way out of the connector. Check out your local boneyard, the line is only about a foot long. It connects to a steel line next to the fuel lines at the rear of the engine. BTW, if the fitting was leaking, a DTC would be set.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Captain as usual the advice you have is always awesome and so helpful.Sprayed carb cleaner at the purge line like I said thought it snapped on when I pushed on it.I am going to just leave it be unless it sets a code like you said then hit the wrecking yards for another one.The books are just a little to much for a DIY mech I picked up a chiltons But not so expensive.By the way the INNOVA code reader still says no codes no mil and evap not ready I called ENNOVA they recommend to take the battery's out then retry it on the Blazer did it same result next step they say is to hook it to another car then back to the Blazer but the new Bosh from ORileys says there isnt a problem monitors have all run according to it and no mil no codes think I will buy it return the Actron that is only go for up to 2013,s and purchase the Bosh to start.Hope It keeps working better then the INNOVA then I seen on line INNOVA hasnt had a update for there tester since it was released and the Bosh picked up codes when I cleaned the MAF & the air input sensor right next in line.But they went away shortly after.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 PM

Ok Captain stopped by another ORiley's today asked them to test my car for emission status the kid that came out to my car didn't know how to use the Bosh code reader so I showed him click on gm first then Monitors and guess what it read. Evap monitor not ready yet and no codes in computer's memory's.I was looking at some smoke testers on line is the pressure switch by the charcoal canister always open and commanded closed by the computer.Also thought I would resolve my code reader issue ordered a OBII TPMS TOOL 3838 will be able to make the evap test myself now.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-13-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

TPMS is Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The TPMS module is part of the OBDII network. Wireless? Yes, that's the only way to access the tire pressure sensors, (they are inside the tire). The tester can not access the PCM, EBCM, SRS, BCM etc, only the TPMS module.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:48 PM

Finally got a decent answer not from Dol because they don't answer there phone.But got through to someone from the EPA and they told me that one monitor could be incomplete not run yet.From 2001 and up that means even if I cant get the evap monitor to run its ok still should pass emission's the person told me that they don't even look at the evap unless it has thrown a code.Or turned on the Mil.That got me thinking if the gas cap is part of the evap system then with it missing it should throw a code and lite the MIL.But took of the cap and did a 30 mile freeway trip and nothing got out the INNOVA manual and it says the evap is a two trip system meaning I think that the next time I go out without the gas cap on it should lite the MIL and set a code if it is truly working at least that is how I think it should work even if it hasn't run complete. Don't know if that will make the evap run its monitor process. Or just set a gas cap code but either way it will let me know even though the evap hasn't run that part of the system is working.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-14-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
TPMS is Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The TPMS module is part of the OBDII network. Wireless? Yes, that's the only way to access the tire pressure sensors, (they are inside the tire). The tester can not access the PCM, EBCM, SRS, BCM etc, only the TPMS module.

Both a sensor activation and diagnostic device which couples On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) II relearn capabilities all in one compact and portable housing
Features an exclusive wireless OBD II module for TPMS sensor registration
3.5 inch high resolution icon based screen for easy navigation of key menus including sensor activation, relearn procedures, universal sensor programming and Key Fob Signal Strength test
Other standard features include USB & SD card connectivity and Infrared (IR) printing
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) devices ensure tires and vehicles are operated safely under the recommended factory conditions
› See more product details.Hope this is a OBII code reader as well as a sensor activation tool,don't care much about tire pressure.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-15-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 AM

Ok Captain hope this is more than a glorified tire pressure gauge from what I understood it was a OBDII code reader also a sensor activation tool basically what I was wanting in a tool.able to read codes switch off and on sensors like the evap purge control valve and the pressure sensor valve able to do the same as the shops but with out the cost for it.And for the cost it better be able to do everything they can in some shops that's why I purchased it what do you think Captain less the air pressure ability can this tool make fixes easy for the DIY, er Give me your honest opinion do you think the tool is of the quality of that in a shop just portable.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:01 AM

Read post #6 again. The tester can only access the TPMS module. The EVAP system is in the PCM, (powertrain control module). The tester will not do what you are expecting it to do.
EDIT: your vehicle is not equipped with TPMS making that tester totally worthless on your vehicle.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-15-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Read post #6 again. The tester can only access the TPMS module. The EVAP system is in the PCM, (powertrain control module). The tester will not do what you are expecting it to do.
EDIT: your vehicle is not equipped with TPMS making that tester totally worthless on your vehicle.
Both a sensor activation and diagnostic device which couples On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) II relearn capabilities all in one compact and portable housing
Features an exclusive wireless OBD II module for TPMS sensor registration
3.5 inch high resolution icon based screen for easy navigation of key menus including sensor activation, relearn procedures, universal sensor programming and Key Fob Signal Strength test
Other standard features include USB & SD card connectivity and Infrared (IR) printing
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) devices ensure tires and vehicles are operated safely under the recommended factory conditions
› See more product details.Hope this is a OBII code reader as well as a sensor activation tool,don't care much about tire pressure.pressure. Ok Captain is it still useless to me for my vehicle because it was to my under standing that it was a code reader able to control sensors including airam I wrong is it really useless to me.Thought it was the next generation in code readers but at the cost it is one you will find being used in auto shops not by DIY ers

Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Thank you Captain again you saved my butt
you know that all I wanted was a shop quality tester not a glorified tire gauge.

Quick Reply: Evap IM