2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

evap problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aosmitty
Bernie,
the line goes over the back of the engine/bell housing and meets up with the fuel supply and return lines, and they meander (yes, meander) down by the fuel filter - on the inboard side of the frame rail on the driver's side, and then along the top of the frame rail all the way back to the canister.

Save yourself the aggravation of tracking down and replacing parts and buy 25 feet of fuel line and run it straight from the purge solenoid to the evap canister. Tracking down the right line is a horrible pain in the butt - I did just that in the beginning of January trying to "unfix" a previous shop's handiwork.

The purge line is labeled at the canister (at least, it was on my 2000). Rub the dirt off the canister with your thumb and you'll see what I mean. I would keep the stock connector on the canister - just cut the line off minimum 6" from the canister and use a clamp to secure the new fuel hose.

Finding a diagram online was a huge pain in the butt but possible!). For my own sanity I downloaded and saved them online for future reference (did I mention the previous, terrible repair job done before I bought the truck?

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

Actually, if you squint, you may be able to see the "purge" label I'm referring to in this picture:
Large size rear canister pic Expand the pic to full size and I think it will be pretty easy to see.
I stand corrected...***

Smitty: Thanks for those.. But I can see why a dealer tech would screw it up.

In the second image
I take it that is 97 up? It's the one matches my 99.
BUT
What is the fuel filter doing in there?

I'm cutting out the filter, here

Name:  wPa9Q.jpg
Views: 3814
Size:  97.4 KB

***I got spoiled with my foxbodies. At one time I had three complete sets of plastic fuel lines off late eightiies Tbirds {to drop EFI in carb mustangs}

I tossed/gave away two of them. Should'a kept em, maybe. I just checked last summer.. still not brittle!

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member
aosmitty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I stand corrected...***

Smitty: Thanks for those.. But I can see why a dealer tech would screw it up.

In the second image
I take it that is 97 up? It's the one matches my 99.
BUT
What is the fuel filter doing in there?

***I got spoiled with my foxbodies. At one time I had three complete sets of plastic fuel lines off late eightiies Tbirds {to drop EFI in carb mustangs}
Yeah, it's possible that my diagrams are not 100% correct. As I said, finding the diagrams online (for free) was huge pain in the first place. I agree the fuel filter is wrong, but if you ignore it the rest of the diagram is 'good enough' in my opinion.

I needed to have an idea where things were supposed to run since this terrible shop had run the purge into the gas tank vent tee (@ the pump), the vent (and now purge) to the canister, left the front tank vent dumping to atmosphere, all while leaving the canister's purge line open (or poorly sealed off; I have repressed the memory).

Meanwhile, every steel line under the back half of the truck has pretty much rusted away entirely. I had to redo all the brake lines shortly after buying the truck. The evap lines have been replaced with rubber hose entirely.

As for your dealer tech comment, this was not dealership work. It was an independent place where the prevous owner always took the truck. To give you an idea of the quality of their work, they replaced the rear brake line (from ABS to the tee on the rear axle, iirc) and used the emergency brake cable as an anchor point for part of the brake line's run. Real top notch work, there!

Oh man, I had some fox body Mustangs when I was younger. There were all POS's since I got them after they had been used up. I learned a lot about cars, though, more than I bargained for, that's for sure.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member
bernie11 is on a distinguished road
Default Purge valve solenoid line

aosmitty thanks for the advice. I have to replace both rear springs and shocks on the 99 Blazer 4wd. I was wondering if you know what the clips are called holding on the lines to the canister? Also is there a trick to getting them off with out damaging them?? Any help would be great. Thanks Bernie11

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Beginning Member
aosmitty is on a distinguished road

Bernie, I guess I would call them "quick connect." I think if you squeeze them just right they will pop off. On my truck we left them on the canister, and then cut the plastic lines about 6"-8" away. Slide a rubber hose over that, use a hose or spring clamp to hold them on. Not pretty by a long shot, but should be effective.

I did a quick Google Image search - here's what I found:

https://i.imgur.com/SM695.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JyT6n.png

Doesn't look too bad. I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Beginning Member
bernie11 is on a distinguished road
Default Evap purge valve/canister

Thanks a lot for the help. I had to remove both leaf springs and rear shocks. I had a bad leaf spring on the passenger side. To get the driver side off I had to remove the canister to give me extra room. The rear shackle bolts were stubborn. But I have the new ones in. I have to run to the part store and get some 3/8 hose for the purge valve solenoid to the canister as you stated previously. I will let you know how I made out. Hopefully with the vent valve solenoid, purge valve, hose and gas cap being replaced this engine light will go off. Thanks Bernie11

Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Starting Member
H12019 is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a 96 with a plugged soleniod canister vlv r/r soleniod vlv and blew out lines; still have same problem

Old 03-14-2021, 10:13 PM
Starting Member
Donn James is on a distinguished road

looking for the part numbered 8 part number or name or anything that might help fix one of the tubes where the 3 hoses conntct