2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Excited for my new MSD set up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Lanny is on a distinguished road
Default Excited for my new MSD set up!

Well as if The Bandit hasnt cost me enough already, Ive decided to spend more money on her.

I purchased the
~MSD 6-AL Digital Ignition Box with the built in REV limiter
~MSD 8mm Helicore wires
~MSD GM 2plug replacement coil
&
~NGK copper core plugs

Im excited for the install but theres so many wires! Has anyone done this? And if so could they provide tips and pointers?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

just sayin' all that money spent on MSD ingnition and you didnt even get AcDelco plugs?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991
just sayin' all that money spent on MSD ingnition and you didnt even get AcDelco plugs?
I personally like NGK plugs better have had both, truck likes NGK better.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991
Nothing wrong with ngk plugs at all in these blazers. They run great. Im personally running ngk v powers in all my dimes and blazers. runs great.

instructions should be imprinted under the msd box.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Ive been running the Delcos, and was going to continue to do so, but a friend of mine said when he did his MSD set up he changed to NGK and ran beautifully! thats all I want lol....and a to be a lil peppier than your average blazer!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 AM
BlueBlazeX is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down MSD setup was not worth it.

I did the same thing on my 2003 xtreme, but I installed a blaster hvc.

After all that I found out it was recommended but not required to swap the stock distributor to an MSD distributor. I was replacing distributor rotors every few months too much power going through the stock contacts. Can't remember why.... but I believe MSD did not have a distributor for an 2003 4.3 v6

Had a racing mechanic look at the setup and was asked why I did that.... he told me the GM stock ignition was very good and what I did was a waste of money. Got a second opinion and was told the same thing. So after a few more distributor caps I removed the whole setup and sold it at a huge loss.

Decided to run this engine till it dies and hope to replace with a v8 crate in the future and just completely redo everything back to the rubber.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM

well I found a dizzy for mine

GM 4.3L V6 Late Model HEI Distributor - 8367

and i did a quik search, msd doesnt make a dizzy for the 03

thanks for the heads up!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlueBlazeX

Had a racing mechanic look at the setup and was asked why I did that.... he told me the GM stock ignition was very good and what I did was a waste of money. Got a second opinion and was told the same thing. So after a few more distributor caps I removed the whole setup and sold it at a huge loss.
This is not the first time i heard this but it makes sense, the spark is blue and has to be blue for it to work properly. Blue spark is already a really hot spark and thats factory.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueBlazeX
Good advice... save your money. The 8mm wires are ok, but overkill and not necessary. The factory ignition system is more than adequate for this engine. The ignition coil will only supply what's necessary to jump the gaps, (rotor to cap & spark plug). Under normal operating conditions, secondary voltage is ~7K volts. The factory ignition coil is capable of 40K+. If you're burning up rotors & caps, camshaft retard is out of spec, guaranteed. A capable scan tool and about 15 minutes will fix that, plus gain fuel mileage & performance.

Lanny, the link you posted for the distributor is for HEI, (vertical plug wires on the cap). If you have EDI, (horizontal wires on the cap) it will not work. Check with Skip White web site, excellent aluminum billet EDI distributor for ~$50. http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=6671-BK

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Good advice... save your money. The 8mm wires are ok, but overkill and not necessary. The factory ignition system is more than adequate for this engine. The ignition coil will only supply what's necessary to jump the gaps, (rotor to cap & spark plug). Under normal operating conditions, secondary voltage is ~7K volts. The factory ignition coil is capable of 40K+. If you're burning up rotors & caps, camshaft retard is out of spec, guaranteed. A capable scan tool and about 15 minutes will fix that, plus gain fuel mileage & performance.

Lanny, the link you posted for the distributor is for HEI, (vertical plug wires on the cap). If you have EDI, (horizontal wires on the cap) it will not work. Check with Skip White web site, excellent aluminum billet EDI distributor for ~$50. White Performance Detail Description

Yea I have heard that a few times as well to be honest, but half the moneys is already spent, I wish I had an EDI set up, but! I do have the HEI set up....that woulda been $260 dollars saved!

Ive been considering scraping the whole idea but like I said, Im just too excited! maybe ill just back burner it and not kill my wallet on the dizzy, but rather set aside for it and save up lol

Quick Reply: Excited for my new MSD set up!