2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

exhaust crossover/grinding and or clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road
Default exhaust crossover/grinding and or clicking noise

i have a 2001 jimmy and i was in the woods one day and hit my exahust corssover on a rock and after that my engine started making a sort of grinding noise and a clicking noise(i checked the fluids and the fan to see if it might be hitting something and making the noise), i bought a new piece of exahust and cut the section out and welded a new piece on but couldnt seal it well without taking it off, could the noise i hear be from exahust/backpressure problems?

also do i have to remove the transmission support crossmember to remove that section of the exhaust?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ticking/clicking could be caused by an exhaust leak. Does it only do it while moving?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Loose heat shield?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM

yes its quickens with the rpm's

Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So... Engine RPM dependent and not ground speed dependent...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM

yea sorry i wasnt thinkin straight there.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Administrator

LOL Happens to us all. Definitely sounds like you have opened up an exhaust leak then. It is possible that you popped a manifold to y-pipe stud or damaged the "donut" seal at that location.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM

i know theres a leak but im feeling less and less like its causing the sound i hear. it definitely comes from around the engine and its more of a grinding sound than a ticking.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Is there anything that is rotating that is hitting the exhaust since you bottomed out?

Is the grinding noise all of the time or just when moving?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Theres nothing hitting the exhaust, i replaced the mangled section. its all the time I believe, its just hard to hear unless I hit the gas a little. It gets louder when I bring the rpm's up.

Quick Reply: exhaust crossover/grinding and or clicking noise