2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012 | 10:04 AM
|
bassson is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust leak

I have searched the site for people with a similar problem, however, I wasn't able to find any one.
So, there is a gasket in the exhaust system right before the muffler. it connects the pipe from the cat to the muffler. It is like a triangular shape. So my problem is that the lowest bolt has broken causing my exhaust to leak horribly and making my truck sound horrible.

there is half a bolt in the hole still and i have tried to drill it out. after spending an hour with a drill under my car i have gotten i an 1/8th of an inch in. Does any one have any suggestions on how to get this bolt out.

(note: i am unable to actually unscrew it because there is no head on the bolt, and the muffler enables me to drill from that side.)

Old 10-17-2012 | 10:25 AM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

There are not threads in the triangular piece...the bolts just slide through...or did when new.
Use a hammer and a punch and push the broken bolt out. Replace gasket and bolts...should be good to go.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012 | 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

^x2^ or just keep drilling it out till you get through. Make sure you pull the others as well and replace all of the bolts and put a new gasket in there or you will probably still have a leak. It might be worth your time to get a better sharper drill bit as well and use some sort of lubricant on the bit to keep it from getting to hot and dulling easily plus the lube will make it cut way easier.

Old 10-17-2012 | 11:54 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question I have a similair problem

Where my Y pipe bolts to the converter.2 bolts broke off flush with flange.I tryed drilling them out and what ever these bolts are made of keep wearing the tip of my drill bits.Im thinking Im going to have them torched out or just remove the cat.

Old 10-17-2012 | 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

The heat from the exhaust will harden the bolts! Try using a hammer and a punch to knock them out. Were you using any lube on the drill bits?

Old 10-17-2012 | 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You`ll have to heat the **** out of the flange to hammer them out. would be a lot easier if you just took the whole muffler off. To get the gasket in you`ll have to remove the others anyway

Old 10-17-2012 | 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust woes...

I just got finished messing with my CAT and muffler, the bolts going from the CAT to the muffler actually came off using a breaker bar and muscles. The bolts from the downpipe to the CAT were a bit trickier. What I did was use a small screwdriver to pick out the gasket between the flanges and once that was done I used a hacksaw blade between the flanges and cut the bolts in half, took a while but finally got them out.

Old 10-17-2012 | 02:18 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question

Well I know eventualy Im going to make some performance changes on my exaust but for now I just want to get it put back together.To whom asked the question about lube on the bits yes I have been using oil.Seems like everything I have attemped to do on the jimmy ends being a major PIA!Nothing about progress ever comes easily.Is it just my truck or are all this way?

Old 10-17-2012 | 03:19 PM
|
bassson is on a distinguished road

thanks everyone for the quick replies. ill keep you posted on what works

Old 10-17-2012 | 04:26 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

X2 to what newguy said;when I did mine at work I had to use the torch to get them out,thankfully the flanges are made of a hard enough material that the excess heat did not affect them! Still took 20 minutes!

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak