2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Faulty Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Faulty Rear Hatch

I just had the exact same roblem with my 97. I was able to pull the trim out enough to remove the spring from the striker plate in the gate itself. After I got the rear end open, I took the trim off, and realized that the peice of plastic on the end of the electronic release. I just screw the arm back to it with a self tapping screw. it works flawlessly. If needed, i will pull it all apart on monday, first time i will be back to my truck, and take some pics and do a how to for 2dr blazers.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey swart, ya kno what...if u want, tuesday when i get done with my exam i could swing by and u could tool around with it...u'll understand it better than me... thats when i was gonna stop by n get the sticker if it was done....just lemme kno

Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
corvettecoop is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this exact same issue on my '96. I was able to get the glass open by prying the trim back just enough to slide a screwdriver in there to release it then after taking the tailgate trim off I discovered that the linear actuator has a plastic arm on the end that releases the window. It just held in by a couple of screws so I just picked up a new one at the local dealership. The piece on mine was green and about 2 inches long that broke off a metal box about 3 x 4". The dealership supplied me with the box and the arm as one piece. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Here are a few pics i took of where the actuator that pushes the glass up meets the body...

LEFT side

RIGHT side

Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Need to see the latch area! Not the shock supports...

Old 05-12-2006, 07:03 PM

theres nothing @ the latch area unless i take the rear panel off, which id rather not do...yet

Old 05-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well... Ok, I guess. LOL We'll have a good look Tuesday!

Old 06-26-2006, 01:31 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone figured out the mystery to the 2dr hatch? Mine has stopped working again!!! It happened before but I was involved in an accident a few months earlier someone rear ended me and the back hatch (bottom half) was replaced so the insurance company was called and they paid for someone to fix it!! haha didnt realize its a huge problem with the blazers (just like the damn chair back lever) So I know theres a way to fix it with out drilling a hole like posted before. I cant find the "electronic over ride switch" and I use my back hatch ALOT so this issue is making me curse! 98 blazer Mine is a set up to where the glass opens first no other way of getting into the back. Open the glass up first then reach into theblazer and on the back side of the bottom part of the hatch is the handle to open the bottom half.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I am going to post this again, since I cannot font my previous post on this issue, other than the one above. You can get your back glas open without drilling a hole in your trim. Plain and simple. First get comfortable inside your truck with a phillips screwdriver, and a pair of needle nose pliers. First think wipe the sweat off your face, as you are probably lucky enough to have it be insanely hot while you are trying to fix this. All right back to work. start by removing the two screws in the gate releease handle and remove the handle. Then grab your needle nose pliers in one hand and with the other grab the hatch trim right above where the latch is, the raised part of back hatch. start to pull the trim straight away from the window, and take your needle nose pliers and remove small spring on the latch. Might be easier if you have a friend pulling or have something you can put between the glass and the trim to keep it out from the window. Once you remove the spring, the back glass is released.

Then with the gate and glass open, remove the handful of screws holding the interior trim to the back hatch. in the center of the gate, there is the actuator with the plastic arm on it. corvettecoop said you can get this part at a stealership. I am in the process of trying to make a peice of metal to put there instead of the arm, for longevity.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Administrator

You will have to break the trim to accomplish this because on all models, there is a screw in the center right at the latch for the window that you cannot remove without the window open. So break the trim or drill it... That is your choice.

Quick Reply: Faulty Rear Hatch