2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Faulty Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:19 AM
af32197 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Faulty Rear Hatch

Need to drill a hole dead center right to left and about 2 inches down from top of hump on plastic trim. Just did it to get my window open. You can't pull trim forward because there is a screw tab on the right side of mechanism. There is a factory access hole down in the carpet but if the plastic piece is broken the factory hole won't do any good. Used 1/2 hole. Can be filled with rubber plug when done. Shine light into the hole and you will see a vertical slit. Use small screwdriver through slit and you can get window to release. Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You will have to break the trim to accomplish this because on all models, there is a screw in the center right at the latch for the window that you cannot remove without the window open. So break the trim or drill it... That is your choice.
I'm afraid he's right, you have to cut or break the trim panel. I can't see any other way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/178A5D51E29B4C638A17910329FD44E7.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I just found this, perhaps it could help a few of you.

Well if you don't want to hack up the tailgate panel or rip out your carpet,
here's the easy way to open the glass:

96Blazer at S10Forums.com:

You just pull back the interior tailgate panel right above the bump in the middle
where the latch is. There are no screws or bolts in that area, you can safely pull it back
about 2 inches. Then you'll have to stuck your finger in and push down the release bar.
See the 2 pictures below:
*Images no longer exist*
(No pictures allowed in this forum , oh well, click the links then)
The first pic is of the latch, it's the gold section.
The second pic shows what you need to push downward.
When you get your finger back there, you should be able to feel for the part that need to
be pushed down. When that part is pushed down, the glass has been unlocked.

Now that the glass is unlocked, it and the tailgate can be opened. Now you can remove the
interior tailgate panel, it has one screw on each side and easily lifts off.

The actuator that needs to be replaced costs $58 from the dealer, so if you don't want
to replace it yet, but still want to open the back, you can leave the panel off and just puch the
manuel release level. Here's the pic of the tailgate:
*Images no longer exist*
It's in the open section right below the latch, hows my fingure pushing it:
*Images no longer exist*

Old 07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

But if you look close in the first pic, you can see where the screw should be. His trim panel is already broken.

You have to either break something or drill something to accomplish this fix.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well, I sorta forgot about this until a member PM'd me about this with a request for the pictures. So here's what I have. These pictures are of a glass up, tailgate down configuration that is used on many blazers. They aren't the greatest, but I've added some arrows to show where the different things are:

#1 shows the cutout through the inner sheetmetal structure of the tailgate, showing you the release arm as well as the latch striker.

#2 is a closer shot showing you more of the insides of the tailgate.

#3 shows the relationship between the latch and the cutout.

Hope this helps everyone that has had this problem. Good luck and again, sorry for the delay!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

well i find that yea sometimes i have a problem opening the back window once its popped....but usually if i just yank hard enuf it pops open....for some reason it like sticks to the lining that the glass touches

Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same prob except my actuator doesnt work.... i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get it... i have been lookin for months....its very annoying have to climb in to open my tailgate

Old 08-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: flowmasta

well i find that yea sometimes i have a problem opening the back window once its popped....but usually if i just yank hard enuf it pops open....for some reason it like sticks to the lining that the glass touches
I'd recommend grabbing a can of silicone spray and spraying down the seal a few times, allowing it to soak in for a few minutes. It'll soften the seal up close to what it was when new. I do this about every month in the summer on all of the door/window seals in my truck so I do not have problems with sticking doors in the winter time.

One word of caution. If you have leather seats, DO NOT let the silicone drip on them. I have a few very light spots on my seats that I haven't been able to get rid of due to this very thing.

*EDIT* - Didn't see your post time...

ORIGINAL: timetoblaze

i have the same prob except my actuator doesnt work.... i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get it... i have been lookin for months....its very annoying have to climb in to open my tailgate
First thing I would try is to remove the actuator and disassemble it. If you can take it apart and clean it, it may work, it may not, but you'll atleast have tried a free (or close to it) remedy. If it does work, great. If not, you're no worse off and you have to find either a new one or a good used one.

If you have any junkyards close by, spin in there and see if you can find one. Something like that should only be a few bucks. I know that my local Pick-n-Pull will take defective returns for full refund so you really only waste your time messin' around. I usually carry a small 12v battery with me to test things like this to make sure they work.

If no junkyards are around your area, your other choice is one of these guys parting out their truck or grabbing a new one from the dealership (probably $$$).

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:50 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i did pull it out and clean it and stuff like that put it back in and nothin... i havent tried the junk yards they are a drive for me but i should.... thanks for the help

Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

No problem. I figured I'd throw the disassemble/clean/reassemble thing out there cause you never know. Could be a free fix.

Quick Reply: Faulty Rear Hatch