2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A few issues on a 98 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member
protegechris is on a distinguished road
Default A few issues on a 98 Blazer

Just bought a 98 Blazer.. my main issues:

1. Wipers don't work whatsoever. Fuses are fine, replaced the pulse motor board (infamous for the bad cold solders) already.
2. Turn signal switch works for turn signals, but no other functions on it work. I can hear the clicking on the passenger side when I use the turn signal, but if I wiggle the handle around, I can hear it clicking )not from pressing turn signal direction(.
3. ABS light is on almost constantly after car starts up.
4. Heater doesn't work.
5. Only one speaker working.

I am ONLY really concerned with #1/2 and 3 right now. Any help would be amazing. I'm more of an import guy, this is actually my first domestic vehicle.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as 1 and 2 go:
Try getting some new switches for your turn signals/wipers. If you put brand new motors and board then the problem lies before it gets to the motor board.

For #5:
Have you tried new speakers? What about checking if all of them are plugged into the right places or even plugged in at all. I once had a speaker where the speaker was fine and had just rattled out of the connection because it wasn't plugged in right in the first place.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 AM
nnnon632 is an unknown quantity at this point

3. you should go get it checked but could be many things probably wait to see if a bearing begins to go and abs is for panseys

4. could be a heater coil

Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With items #1 & #2 centering around the multifunction switch, I too would agree that you likely should replace it. You could test for voltage at the wiper motor connector to make sure that you are not getting power there which would mean that it definitely is a problem upstream and not a burnt out motor.

For #3, you need to determine what is causing this. There are many faults that can trigger an ABS light. A scan with a full function scan tool that can access the ECBM (electronic brake control module) will tell you the trouble codes that are present. Let us know what these are and we can work from there.

Speculation at this point will likely waste time and money. But some of the common problems are improper readings from the front WSS (wheel speed sensors) which is caused by too large of an air gap between the sensor and the reluctor ring and broken front WSS wires. You can test the output from the WSS with a multimeter. Testing across the connector, you should read between 200mV-AC and 350mV-AC when you spin the tire. Speed does not matter.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the advice. I, too, agree with replacing the switch. Looks like the cheapest I can find it is rockauto @ $106. I'm going to replace the pulse board too, as there are clearly bad solders on it and I can source it at $16.

About the ABS-- I hear up to two loud pops when braking very hard.. but not from a wheel, rather from what seems like the middle of the car near the firewall.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member

I wanted to run something by you guys before I ordered my parts: the clicking you can hear on the passenger side of the dash when you use your turn signals ---- it's almost constantly on.. sporadically.. anything that could cause that aside from the multifunction switch?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is another clear sign of a failed multifunction switch. Sometimes this can be solved by just changing the hazard switch which is available separately, but with your problems going into the other functions of the multifunction switch, you likely have to replace the whole thing.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

Replaced the pulse module --- issue no longer exists. It isn't clicking constantly either.

I will check into the brake issue -- it acts like I'm locking the wheels (ratcheting feel on the brake) when I get below 5mph coming to a stop --- MOST of the time. ABS light is intermittent.

The speakers --- twice I have had this occur... the rear left speaker will kick on.. the front right has never cut out. I highly double 3 speakers have come disconnected... anyone with me on that? Any possibility the (stock) head unit is causing the issue?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for a post about 5MPH ABS activation.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks! I'm gonna do that this weekend.

Any input on what would cause *no* brake lights to come on with good bulbs? My left turn signal blinks much faster than the right.. but my bulbs are all OK, too. O_O

Quick Reply: A few issues on a 98 Blazer