2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Filler Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member
Joan is on a distinguished road
Question Filler Hose?

Not sure if that's what it's called.....there is a metal pipe between my filler neck and the rubber hose that connects to my gas tank. It's pretty much rusted to crap and leaks when I fill my tank.

I imagine I could replace the whole thing with a length of fuel line hose right from the filler hose to the tank?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member
Default Any ideas?

Ok...maybe a bit of clarification? The rubber hose clamped from the filler neck is clamped to this metal pipe. The pipe has about a 90 degree turn then is clamped to the filler hose (rather the filler hose is clamped to it)

I'd like to know which part to ask for at the junk yard, or if I should just replace it with straight flex pipe.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

Flex pipe might leak....you could always just take it out and go to the local muffler shop and see if they will bend a piece of 1-3/4" exhaust pipe for you and then you could install that. Does it have the smaller 3/4" vent line attached to it too??

Last edited by Frog; 05-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

Havent gotten under it to check out if it's got the vent hose attached to it, but I'm thinking yes....from what I see in the picture of the part. I DID finally find out what it is....after lots of googling. It is the Lower fuel filler neck-gas tank pipe.

I just had the filler neck replaced 2 years ago...for way too much $$. and since The original one lasted 9 years...I'm not very happy! The part that rusted out I found on line for 89.95 (GASP!!) Yeah...think The machine shop could make one cheaper for me....Or I could try JB welding the **** out of it!

Last edited by Joan; 05-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

If you JB weld the heck out of it....it would cost more than the original...LOL!!

I think the muffler shop would be the cheapest route...you could also check on aluminum tubing if they have it....or better yet stainless steel. I see you are from NY....do you wash your truck off after it snows??? If not you should, that will help keep the salt from eating away at the metal on your blazer.

Last edited by Frog; 05-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

Gasoline and Jb weld = superman and kryptonite. lol just saying. i like the muffler shop idea. i just hope when i drop my tank i dont have to replace it on mine...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Beginning Member

Yup, I wash the truck after it's DONE snowing...for the winter....not too in to my doors getting frozen shut. LOL. Truck has lived all of its 11 years in this ****ty weather.....everything is rusting out.

I will check out the muffler shop, see what's the scoop...I'm thinking they'll say...Oooh, a woman.....CHA CHING. I hate going to any service places...cept maybe to have my oil changed. Though more times than not, I change my own oil.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
Default Any hints on replacing

My filler neck? I got from another thread...to:
1. remove the screws holding the flange to the body
2.Loosen hose clamp and remove the filler hose from the tank...

My guess is to remove the vent tube too....then reverse the process to install the new filler neck?

Anything I'm forgetting or doing wrong....Hints, best process for a complete novice?

Oh, yeah.....not doing it till the tank is at 1/4 full....don't want a fuel shower!

Last edited by Joan; 05-18-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty much the gist of it. The biggest pain in the rear is often getting the rubber line off of the steel filler neck. Often they feel like they are glued together.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member

Thanx! Shouldn't be too bad. I just had the fuel pump replaced last week...at least I'm hoping it's not too bad.....getting the rubber hose off the tank I mean

Quick Reply: Filler Hose?