2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Finding to fix Code P0442

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding to fix Code P0442

Well on Tuesday 2/16/2016, I went to start my vehicle to go home from work. The rain has stopped from what began as snow a day earlier. The "Service Engine Soon", light came on. It still on. Its a 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with 118889 miles on it. Yesterday, went to Autozone for a code. Got the P0442 code, twice. They suggested replacing EVAP Canister purge solenoid valve. I checked what I could and didn't find any holes. Checking gas cap seal and That looked good. Any suggestion? I had my brake line to back brakes replaced last summer and saw a line going to canister rusting too, but left it go.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

P0442 means the EVAP monitor detected a leak approximately .030" in diameter, (about the diameter of a pin). Could be a leak in the fuel filler neck, filler neck vent line, fuel tank, fuel cap, vapor line that you mentioned, purge canister, vent solenoid, control solenoid, pressure sensor O ring, fuel pump module O ring. It can be a real challenge to find it.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

if you can do a smoke test that should pin point your leak smoker is pretty easy to make there are videos on you tube

Old 02-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, I see this is a real complicated problem. The smoke test it seems will need to be done regardless if I can do it or not. Ugh. My vehicles is due for inspection in April and the government will probably not allow it to pass over a pin size leak. We have a lot bigger problems in our government than pin size leaks in EVAP systems.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Starting Member

What do you think would be the best way to go about it? I'm not into making any smoke machine, because I wouldn't have all that stuff around. So here my thoughts, go replace the parts it very well could be. My vapor line is rusting, maybe the purge valve, any other commonly eval fail parts to this vehicle? Or just go to a mechanic to do a full diagnostics? Would dealers be better than an independent shop? Or both?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:34 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I would replace the rusted section(s) of line, clear the code and see what happens...

Old 02-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Without proper testing/diagnosis, your option is to start guessing

Old 02-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Without proper testing/diagnosis, your option is to start guessing
I'd fall back on that testing stuff if I still had a code after replacing the rusted lines and resetting the codes!! Ha!!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Starting Member

It first came on when I started the vehicle. No going off anytime since. I even tried disconnecting the battery. No help.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 PM

One has to clear the code with a code reader...

Quick Reply: Finding to fix Code P0442