2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

First post fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member
berger is on a distinguished road

well the oring stabilized the pressure but the drop off is 25-30 road test runs horrible need to get a new gauge and test the pump for drop off my last test I don't think was accurate I was hoping the oring was the problem it was a problem but not the only one I need to make sure the pump is not holding pressure. Iam not sure what you mean by flex line and module

Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The pump sits vertically in the hanger assembly. There is a filter "sock" on the bottom, (inlet) of the pump. At the top of the pump, (discharge) there is a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 2" long that connects the pump to the hanger. If there are any leaks in the line or connections, pressure will not build sufficiently between the pump the pressure discharge outlet of the hanger. Leakdown will be also excessive. You can see the rubber fuel line in this link: Spectra Premium Hangar Assembly SP06A2H: Shop the best Fuel Pump at Advance Auto Parts

Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member

yeah I know what you mean It doesn't look like these would hold a lot of pressure the outlet on the pump is smooth and the line is held on by little plastic clamps that squeeze together maybe I'll put real clamps on next time there are 100's of thousand of pumps working out there with this rinky dink set up

Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member

I thought you might be talking about the braided lines that bolt to the outlets on hanger sending unit when you said flex lines gotta go to lowes tomorrow to get some fittings to rework my setup to check the tank

Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member

I 'll post the retest my last test said the pressure was lower before the filter than what I had at the test port that can't be right

Old 01-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well I pulled the tank down and tested right at the sending unit 50lb drop off to 30 pull the pump out the 2'' piece of fuel line and chezy plastic clamps weren't cutting it the outlet was lose I sqeezed the clamps with pliers but when I took it apart I spread the line and the bottom of the hanger to get the pump out basicly my fault but the set up is prone to failure throw the chezy clamps out and put a longer piece of fuel line in will improve your chance of success tested pump in a bucket of gas 80lb all day holding like 70lb I sure the factory set up will work but 2 nice stainless clamps are cheap insurance longer line abt 3/4 inch longer makes a nice tight fit

Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member

whatch the 2 terminals on top of the pump don't let the clamp touch them

Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Good job, you found the problem! Most of those pump kits come with steel worm gear clamps, which are WAAAY better than those cheesy plastic ones.

You now know the pump is able to provide sufficient pressure, and that the leakdown is OK. It would now be a good idea to check pressure and leakdown at the service port to confirm that regulated pressure is correct, and that the leakdown is within spec. Should be 55psi to 61psi and remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes. Let us know what to find with that.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Captain Hook for the help I checked the pressure and dropdown up front looks good

Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Good, thanks for posting back with the fix.